Facebook Ordered to Remove Paedophile Monitoring Page - But Second One Appears
By Ewan Palmer | December 1, 2012 4:26 AM EST
Facebook has been ordered to remove a page that monitors paedophiles after a convicted sex offender who features on it won a high court order.
Removal of the page, "Keeping our kids safe from predators", was ordered by a court in Northern Ireland on the grounds that some of its content could lead to harassment of the man and breached his human rights.
Pictures of the offender were uploaded to the page and there were several threatening comments beneath.
The page was removed but a second account, "Keeping our kids safe from predators 2" soon appeared on Facebook. Again, it featured pictures of convicted sex offenders.
One of the earliest posts by the page administrator reads: "Back 2 the start i go everything i shared from the last page is gone grrrrrrrrrrrr :( just not fair at all."
It is not clear if the second page was set up by the same person responsible the initial page, which had gathered more than 5,000 "likes".
After the court ruling, a spokesperson for Facebook said: "We are considering our next steps in light of the court judgment and we have nothing further to add at this stage."
The man who took the case to court and who cannot be named was jailed for six years for sex offences committed more than two decades ago. His lawyers are seeking disclosure of the identity of the man who set up the original page.
Justice McCloskey said: "Society has dealt with the plaintiff in accordance with the rule of law.
"He has been punished by incarceration and he is subject to substantial daily restrictions on his lifestyle."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Accelerates Ban on Shark Finning
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- Mass Panic Over Houston's 'Blinking Lights' in the Sky; UFO Sceptics Still Not Convinced
- American Journalist Steven Sotloff at Risk of Beheading Too If US Gov’t Refuses to Pay $100 Million Ransom to Islamic State Like It Did With James Foley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year