Ex-BBC Radio Norfolk Present Michael Souter Denies Child Sex Offence Charges
By Ewan Palmer | December 1, 2012 3:25 AM EST
A former BBC employee has appeared in court accused of sexual offences against children.
Michael Souter, 59, a former BBC Radio Norfolk presenter, is charged with 18 offences relating to boys, plus one against a man and one against a woman.
Souter, of Loddon, Norfolk, denies the charges relating to four boys under the age of 14 and two under the age of 16 and the other two charges relating to a male and female both over 16.
The alleged offences occurred between 1979 and 1999 and happened in Norfolk.
As part of his bail condition, the 59-year-old must not come into contact with any under-16s without an adult present and his is prohibited from contacting any of the witnesses.
His passport, which was surrendered under bail conditions, was given back to him. No restrictions were placed with regards to foreign travel.
Speaking outside Norwich Magistrates' Court, Souter said: "I am well aware this case is a stressful experience for almost everybody concerned, not just me.
"Irrespective of innocence or guilt, people have judged me before one word has been given in evidence in a court of law.
"Many people wonder how much coverage would have been given, both in the UK and around the world, if the letters 'BBC' had not formed part of my CV.
"The support of my friends and family, during what has been an extremely difficult period, has been overwhelming and humbling and I cannot thank them enough for their support."
Souter was granted conditional bail and ordered to appear before Norwich Crown Court on 14 December by District Judge Peter Veits.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date