Ex-BBC Radio Norfolk Present Michael Souter Denies Child Sex Offence Charges
By Ewan Palmer | December 1, 2012 3:25 AM EST
A former BBC employee has appeared in court accused of sexual offences against children.
Michael Souter, 59, a former BBC Radio Norfolk presenter, is charged with 18 offences relating to boys, plus one against a man and one against a woman.
Souter, of Loddon, Norfolk, denies the charges relating to four boys under the age of 14 and two under the age of 16 and the other two charges relating to a male and female both over 16.
The alleged offences occurred between 1979 and 1999 and happened in Norfolk.
As part of his bail condition, the 59-year-old must not come into contact with any under-16s without an adult present and his is prohibited from contacting any of the witnesses.
His passport, which was surrendered under bail conditions, was given back to him. No restrictions were placed with regards to foreign travel.
Speaking outside Norwich Magistrates' Court, Souter said: "I am well aware this case is a stressful experience for almost everybody concerned, not just me.
"Irrespective of innocence or guilt, people have judged me before one word has been given in evidence in a court of law.
"Many people wonder how much coverage would have been given, both in the UK and around the world, if the letters 'BBC' had not formed part of my CV.
"The support of my friends and family, during what has been an extremely difficult period, has been overwhelming and humbling and I cannot thank them enough for their support."
Souter was granted conditional bail and ordered to appear before Norwich Crown Court on 14 December by District Judge Peter Veits.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Scam: Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos Solidarity Campaign Deceives Women Into Snapping Naked Selfies
- Islamic State: Mother of 2nd Beheading Victim Steven Sotloff Appealed To IS Last Week, Jihadist John Is Still The Knife Wielder
- Actor Ryan Corr's Hollywood Career At Risk After He Was Caught With Heroin
- Peru's Biggest Haul Yields 8.5 Tonnes Of Cocaine
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged