Doomsday 2012: Nasa Explains Why World Will Not End on December 21
By Sanskrity Sinha | December 1, 2012 12:23 AM EST
The end of the world is not here... at least, it won't be on 21 December, 2012, a date long predicted as Doomsday. Nasa has provided a number of geological reasons why the world will not end this year.
"Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012," Nasa scientists said.
Scientists also quashed fears of possibly a "total blackout" over the planet from 23 December until Christmas Day because of planetary alignments.
"Neither Nasa nor any other scientific organisation is predicting such a blackout. There are no planetary alignments in the next few decades and even if these alignments were to occur, their effects on the Earth would be negligible," the statement said.
Planetary alignments are regular astrological events and are harmless, similar to sun storms, which cause disruptions in satellite communications but do not lead to destruction.
Moreover, there are no threatening asteroids predicted for the remainder of the year, none, at least, as large as the one believed to have wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.
Doomsday - a Mayan Theory
The 21 December, 2012, doomsday prediction is a calculation derived from the ending of one of the cycles of the ancient Mayan calendar. However, in May, archaeologists in Guatemala found what is said to be the oldest known Mayan calendar, which they said threw out earlier predictions of death and destruction by 7,000 years.
The Mayan calendar apart, several other apocalyptic predictions are also based on the Mayan belief that a planet called Nibiru is on course to hit the Earth.
"If Nibiru or Planet X were real and headed for an encounter with the Earth in 2012, astronomers would have been tracking it for at least the past decade, and it would be visible by now to the naked eye. Obviously, it does not exist," scientists asserted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best