Doomsday 2012: Nasa Explains Why World Will Not End on December 21
By Sanskrity Sinha | December 1, 2012 12:23 AM EST
The end of the world is not here... at least, it won't be on 21 December, 2012, a date long predicted as Doomsday. Nasa has provided a number of geological reasons why the world will not end this year.
"Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012," Nasa scientists said.
Scientists also quashed fears of possibly a "total blackout" over the planet from 23 December until Christmas Day because of planetary alignments.
"Neither Nasa nor any other scientific organisation is predicting such a blackout. There are no planetary alignments in the next few decades and even if these alignments were to occur, their effects on the Earth would be negligible," the statement said.
Planetary alignments are regular astrological events and are harmless, similar to sun storms, which cause disruptions in satellite communications but do not lead to destruction.
Moreover, there are no threatening asteroids predicted for the remainder of the year, none, at least, as large as the one believed to have wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.
Doomsday - a Mayan Theory
The 21 December, 2012, doomsday prediction is a calculation derived from the ending of one of the cycles of the ancient Mayan calendar. However, in May, archaeologists in Guatemala found what is said to be the oldest known Mayan calendar, which they said threw out earlier predictions of death and destruction by 7,000 years.
The Mayan calendar apart, several other apocalyptic predictions are also based on the Mayan belief that a planet called Nibiru is on course to hit the Earth.
"If Nibiru or Planet X were real and headed for an encounter with the Earth in 2012, astronomers would have been tracking it for at least the past decade, and it would be visible by now to the naked eye. Obviously, it does not exist," scientists asserted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’