Gold Extends Losses for Fourth Day
November 30, 2012 9:39 PM EST
Gold importers in India, the world's biggest buyer of the metal, continued to pile up bargain stock in view of the wedding season, as prices extended losses for a fourth day to hit their lowest level in two weeks.
* The wedding season is at its peak in India, and will continue until early January. Normally, demand for the yellow metal goes up during this period.
* "There is buying, though it is less than expected," said Haresh Acharya, head of bullion at Parker Bullion, adding "people feel both gold and rupee will come down."
* The actively traded gold for December delivery on the Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) fell to 31,437 rupees per 10 grams on Friday, a level last seen on November 16, before trading 0.21 percent lower at 31,513 rupees at 0851 GMT as a firm rupee weighed on sentiment.
* The contract has shed 2.41 percent in the previous three sessions.
* The rupee, which traded stronger on Friday, plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal.
* Gold edged up in the overseas market, but prices were on track for their biggest weekly drop since the start of the month with uncertainty over the crucial U.S. talks to avert a fiscal crisis continuing to hit sentiment.
* Silver for December delivery was 0.30 percent lower at 62,861 rupees per kg.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown