Stock futures signal flat start
November 30, 2012 9:28 PM EST
Stock futures pointed to a flat opening on Wall Street on Friday, with futures for the S&P 500, the Dow Jones and the Nasdaq 100 trading unchanged to 0.1 percent higher at 4.33 a.m. EST.
Japan's Nikkei average hit a seven-month closing high on Friday as a weaker yen, driven by persistent expectations the Bank of Japan will act more boldly under a likely new government following December 16 elections, lifted the shares of exporters.
European shares were steady at 15-month highs as investors squared the books on the final trading day of the month, with all eyes on U.S. budget talks.
The U.S. President, Barack Obama, plans to travel to a factory in Pennsylvania to press his case on raising taxes on the wealthy to narrow the deficit. The president and congressional Republicans are negotiating how to avoid steep automatic tax hikes and deep spending cuts that will kick in soon unless they can reach a deal to avoid them.
The U.S. Commerce Dept releases October personal income and consumption data at 8.30 a.m. EST. Economists in a Reuters survey expect a 0.2 percent rise in income, and an unchanged reading for spending. In September, income rose 0.4 percent and spending was up 0.8 percent.
The Institute for Supply Management in Chicago releases November index of manufacturing activity at 9.45 a.m. EST. A reading of 50.5 is expected, compared with 49.9 in October.
Apple Inc's latest iPhone has received final clearance from Chinese regulators, paving the way for a December debut in a highly competitive market where the lack of a new model had severely eroded its share of product sales.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> rose 36.71 points, or 0.28 percent, to 13,021.82 on Thursday. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> gained 6.02 points, or 0.43 percent, to 1,415.95. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> advanced 20.25 points, or 0.68 percent, to close at 3,012.03.
(Reporting By Francesco Canepa/editing by Chris Pizzey)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU