Tata Motors Shuts Down Jamshedpur Plant for 3 Days Amid Sluggish Demand
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 30, 2012 4:30 PM EST
Tata Motors, one of India's leading automobile company, has halted its production for three days at its Jamshedpur commercial vehicle (CV) manufacturing plant owing to slow demand.
"We do not want inventory pile-up at the dealers' end and wanted to adjust our production as per demand," a company spokesman told Press Trust of India.
Earlier this month, the company had observed a shutdown of the same plant for three days from Nov 12 to 14. Apart from the plant shutdown, Tata Motors faced three major production halt this year alone. According to the company spokesman, the closure is a well-thought out and planned move.
The Jamshedpur plant mainly produces heavy vehicles, engines and cabs. According to Chandrabhan Singh, general secretary of Telco Workers Union, the closure announcement from Tata came as a deterrent measure to control the production and cost of its vehicles. Tata Motors has produced 5,000 units of vehicles in October against the typical 10,000 units per month.
The closure will help the company to align the production of vehicles with the market demand. India's medium and heavy vehicle segment has fallen flat in the past few months. Like Tata Motors, other major players in this segment have also seen a decline in sales. In October Tata Motors' medium and heavy commercial vehicle sales witnessed a 23 per cent decline compared to the same month last year.
"The market is now dynamic, and the plant closure is because we are proactively aggressive in aligning production with the demand in the market," the spokesperson said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles