Tata Motors Shuts Down Jamshedpur Plant for 3 Days Amid Sluggish Demand
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 30, 2012 4:30 PM EST
Tata Motors, one of India's leading automobile company, has halted its production for three days at its Jamshedpur commercial vehicle (CV) manufacturing plant owing to slow demand.
"We do not want inventory pile-up at the dealers' end and wanted to adjust our production as per demand," a company spokesman told Press Trust of India.
Earlier this month, the company had observed a shutdown of the same plant for three days from Nov 12 to 14. Apart from the plant shutdown, Tata Motors faced three major production halt this year alone. According to the company spokesman, the closure is a well-thought out and planned move.
The Jamshedpur plant mainly produces heavy vehicles, engines and cabs. According to Chandrabhan Singh, general secretary of Telco Workers Union, the closure announcement from Tata came as a deterrent measure to control the production and cost of its vehicles. Tata Motors has produced 5,000 units of vehicles in October against the typical 10,000 units per month.
The closure will help the company to align the production of vehicles with the market demand. India's medium and heavy vehicle segment has fallen flat in the past few months. Like Tata Motors, other major players in this segment have also seen a decline in sales. In October Tata Motors' medium and heavy commercial vehicle sales witnessed a 23 per cent decline compared to the same month last year.
"The market is now dynamic, and the plant closure is because we are proactively aggressive in aligning production with the demand in the market," the spokesperson said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Amazon Announces 7 New Kindles: Upgraded Amazon 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDX Available Now On Pre-order