‘Oops, Sorry, Wrong Censorship!’ Facebook Fails Elbow-Breast Test, Mods Apologized to User
By Arlene Paredes | November 30, 2012 11:32 AM EST
Facebook can't tell elbows from breasts. It took one photo to expose the fact.
A Facebook community page called "Theories of the deep understanding of things" tested the social network's ability to discern which images are considered "indecent material" under its terms of service. The result showed Facebook can definitely make mistakes in classifying certain images as indecent.
The page posted a visually tricky photo of a woman who appears to be flashing her soapy breasts in a tub. If you look closer, however, your eyes will tell your brain that you're looking at pinkish elbows , not areolas. Apparently, Facebook moderators did not take a second look. Either that, or they had to look a third and a fourth time.
Gawker.com reported Facebook removed the image within 24 hours. The 'Theories' page received a notice saying the image violated Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.
"FB moderators can't tell an elbow from a dangerous, filthy, uncanny and violent female breast... No questions were asked and the post is down. Imagine our surprise," the community admin announced.
Reacting to Gawker's report of the incident, Facebook sent the following message:
"Just wanted to reach out and let you know that we have restored the photo. We made a mistake and sent an apology to the original poster."
In reaction to the photo, Facebook user Jodie Marie Hardwick posted this in the comments section: "Never trust a man who can't tell elbows from boobs."
'Theories' is an "audio (and) visual web-magazine," publishing "contemporary art, nice music, and some funny images."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS