‘Oops, Sorry, Wrong Censorship!’ Facebook Fails Elbow-Breast Test, Mods Apologized to User
By Arlene Paredes | November 30, 2012 11:32 AM EST
Facebook can't tell elbows from breasts. It took one photo to expose the fact.
A Facebook community page called "Theories of the deep understanding of things" tested the social network's ability to discern which images are considered "indecent material" under its terms of service. The result showed Facebook can definitely make mistakes in classifying certain images as indecent.
The page posted a visually tricky photo of a woman who appears to be flashing her soapy breasts in a tub. If you look closer, however, your eyes will tell your brain that you're looking at pinkish elbows , not areolas. Apparently, Facebook moderators did not take a second look. Either that, or they had to look a third and a fourth time.
Gawker.com reported Facebook removed the image within 24 hours. The 'Theories' page received a notice saying the image violated Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.
"FB moderators can't tell an elbow from a dangerous, filthy, uncanny and violent female breast... No questions were asked and the post is down. Imagine our surprise," the community admin announced.
Reacting to Gawker's report of the incident, Facebook sent the following message:
"Just wanted to reach out and let you know that we have restored the photo. We made a mistake and sent an apology to the original poster."
In reaction to the photo, Facebook user Jodie Marie Hardwick posted this in the comments section: "Never trust a man who can't tell elbows from boobs."
'Theories' is an "audio (and) visual web-magazine," publishing "contemporary art, nice music, and some funny images."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools