Summer Heat is Peaking in Melbourne and Sydney, Australians Asked to “Be Prepared”
By Arlene Paredes | November 30, 2012 11:11 AM EST
Sydney could experience a warmer day than usual with temperatures rising to as high as 31 degrees this Friday, according to meteorologists.
Sydney recorded the hottest night Thursday since February this year, with temperatures stopping at 21 degrees minimum.
Penrith and Richmond could sweat heavily in 40 degrees, the weather experts said. Yet this is not the worst. Weather could still get even warmer by Saturday.
Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald, Weatherzone meteorologist Ben Domensino said Friday's weather could be enhanced by a warm sea breeze.
"Whereas tomorrow, it's looking like the westerly winds may be strong enough to hold out that sea breeze... If that happens then the city may even reach the high 30s," he said.
Mr Domensino noted the heat was coming from central Australia.
"An approaching trough is directing that heat towards the NSW coast. It's peaking today and tomorrow," he said.
NSW Health and the Rural Fire Service join government agencies in urging the Aussies to take necessary measures to stay safe through the rising heat.
"The forecast weather is a timely reminder that summer is here and people should ensure both their family and their property are prepared," RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said in a statement.
Meanwhile, in Melbourne, the weather is not any gentler. The city recorded Thursday night its hottest November night in over a hundred years.
Melbourne temperatures stayed above 24 degrees for the first time since 1901. The minimum recorded temperature was 24.6 degrees Celsius, ABC reported.
In Ouyen, the temperature rose to as high as 45.8 degrees Celsius. It was the hottest November temperature ever recorded in the state of Victoria.
The state of New South Wales is drumming up its "Beat the Heat" campaign. It urges everyone to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated and safe this summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Amish Girls Abducted, Handcuffed And Used As Sex Slaves
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown