Summer Heat is Peaking in Melbourne and Sydney, Australians Asked to “Be Prepared”
By Arlene Paredes | November 30, 2012 11:11 AM EST
Sydney could experience a warmer day than usual with temperatures rising to as high as 31 degrees this Friday, according to meteorologists.
Sydney recorded the hottest night Thursday since February this year, with temperatures stopping at 21 degrees minimum.
Penrith and Richmond could sweat heavily in 40 degrees, the weather experts said. Yet this is not the worst. Weather could still get even warmer by Saturday.
Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald, Weatherzone meteorologist Ben Domensino said Friday's weather could be enhanced by a warm sea breeze.
"Whereas tomorrow, it's looking like the westerly winds may be strong enough to hold out that sea breeze... If that happens then the city may even reach the high 30s," he said.
Mr Domensino noted the heat was coming from central Australia.
"An approaching trough is directing that heat towards the NSW coast. It's peaking today and tomorrow," he said.
NSW Health and the Rural Fire Service join government agencies in urging the Aussies to take necessary measures to stay safe through the rising heat.
"The forecast weather is a timely reminder that summer is here and people should ensure both their family and their property are prepared," RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said in a statement.
Meanwhile, in Melbourne, the weather is not any gentler. The city recorded Thursday night its hottest November night in over a hundred years.
Melbourne temperatures stayed above 24 degrees for the first time since 1901. The minimum recorded temperature was 24.6 degrees Celsius, ABC reported.
In Ouyen, the temperature rose to as high as 45.8 degrees Celsius. It was the hottest November temperature ever recorded in the state of Victoria.
The state of New South Wales is drumming up its "Beat the Heat" campaign. It urges everyone to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated and safe this summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff