Summer Heat is Peaking in Melbourne and Sydney, Australians Asked to “Be Prepared”
By Arlene Paredes | November 30, 2012 11:11 AM EST
Sydney could experience a warmer day than usual with temperatures rising to as high as 31 degrees this Friday, according to meteorologists.
Sydney recorded the hottest night Thursday since February this year, with temperatures stopping at 21 degrees minimum.
Penrith and Richmond could sweat heavily in 40 degrees, the weather experts said. Yet this is not the worst. Weather could still get even warmer by Saturday.
Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald, Weatherzone meteorologist Ben Domensino said Friday's weather could be enhanced by a warm sea breeze.
"Whereas tomorrow, it's looking like the westerly winds may be strong enough to hold out that sea breeze... If that happens then the city may even reach the high 30s," he said.
Mr Domensino noted the heat was coming from central Australia.
"An approaching trough is directing that heat towards the NSW coast. It's peaking today and tomorrow," he said.
NSW Health and the Rural Fire Service join government agencies in urging the Aussies to take necessary measures to stay safe through the rising heat.
"The forecast weather is a timely reminder that summer is here and people should ensure both their family and their property are prepared," RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said in a statement.
Meanwhile, in Melbourne, the weather is not any gentler. The city recorded Thursday night its hottest November night in over a hundred years.
Melbourne temperatures stayed above 24 degrees for the first time since 1901. The minimum recorded temperature was 24.6 degrees Celsius, ABC reported.
In Ouyen, the temperature rose to as high as 45.8 degrees Celsius. It was the hottest November temperature ever recorded in the state of Victoria.
The state of New South Wales is drumming up its "Beat the Heat" campaign. It urges everyone to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated and safe this summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- New Zealand PM John Key Aware of Kiwis Joining ISIS; New Zealand Not Ready For Airstrikes
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia