Gold Logs First Gain of the Week, Fiscal Cliff Sideshow Continues
By Eric McWhinnie | November 30, 2012 7:29 AM EST
On Thursday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery increased $10.70 to settle at $1,727.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 66 cents to close at $34.35. It was gold’s first gain of the week.
Both precious climbed higher on modest dollar weakness, as the two political parties in Washington continue to attract headlines over the fiscal cliff. House Speaker John Boehner said, “Based on where we stand today-first, despite the claims that the President supports a balanced approach, the Democrats have yet to get serious about real spending cuts. Secondly, no substantive progress have been made in the talks between the White House and the House [of Representatives] over the last two weeks.”
Don’t Miss: Should Gold Investors Be Worried About Demand?
Meanwhile, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid shot back with, “We’re still waiting for a serious offer from the Republicans. Now is the time for Republicans to move past this ‘happy talk’ about revenues, and put specifics on the table…We’re not going to kick the can down the road.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) gained 0.45 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained 1.45 percent. However, gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) both traded lower. Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) jumped 4.0 percent, while First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Silver Wheaton edged about 0.30 percent higher.
Investor Insight: Will the Inflation Grinch Steal Christmas?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia