Gold Logs First Gain of the Week, Fiscal Cliff Sideshow Continues
By Eric McWhinnie | November 30, 2012 7:29 AM EST
On Thursday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery increased $10.70 to settle at $1,727.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 66 cents to close at $34.35. It was gold’s first gain of the week.
Both precious climbed higher on modest dollar weakness, as the two political parties in Washington continue to attract headlines over the fiscal cliff. House Speaker John Boehner said, “Based on where we stand today-first, despite the claims that the President supports a balanced approach, the Democrats have yet to get serious about real spending cuts. Secondly, no substantive progress have been made in the talks between the White House and the House [of Representatives] over the last two weeks.”
Don’t Miss: Should Gold Investors Be Worried About Demand?
Meanwhile, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid shot back with, “We’re still waiting for a serious offer from the Republicans. Now is the time for Republicans to move past this ‘happy talk’ about revenues, and put specifics on the table…We’re not going to kick the can down the road.”
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) gained 0.45 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained 1.45 percent. However, gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) both traded lower. Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) jumped 4.0 percent, while First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Silver Wheaton edged about 0.30 percent higher.
Investor Insight: Will the Inflation Grinch Steal Christmas?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best