America's Christmas Hero: NYPD officer Larry DePrimo Gifts Homeless Man New Boots [PHOTOS]
By Umberto Bacchi | November 30, 2012 6:01 AM EST
The US has found its Christmas hero for the year - a New York policeman who gave a pair of new boots to a barefooted homeless man in Times Square.
NYPD officer Larry DePrimo was patrolling the busy square in central Manhattan when he spotted a man sitting outside a store in the cold with nothing to cover his feet.
DePrimo then walked into a store nearby, bargained a 25 per cent discount with the salesman on a pair of $100 all-weather boots and thermal socks, and gave them to the man.
"[He] smiled from ear to ear. It was like you gave him a million dollars," the officer said.
The scene was captured on film by Jennifer Foster, an Arizonan tourist who sent the picture to the police department. After it was posted on the police website it went viral on the internet.
The snap received about 350,000 likes, was shared more than 98,000 times, and was commented on by about 20,000 people.
Neo-Santa DePrimo was interviewed by several media and became a national hero.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced