Concorde Paris Crash: Continental Airlines Cleared
By Umberto Bacchi | November 30, 2012 3:41 AM EST
A French court has cleared Continental Airlines of manslaughter charges in relation to the crash of a Concorde jet that killed 113 people in Paris in 2000.
The appeal court verdict overturned the 2010 ruling of a lower court, which found that mistakes by the company's mechanics led to the incident.
"We have long maintained that neither Continental nor its employees were responsible for this tragic event and are satisfied that this verdict was overturned," Continental spokesman Megan McCarthy said.
According to the first ruling, a titanium strip badly fixed to a Continental DC-10 aircraft fell onto the runway of Paris Charles de Gaulle airport. The strip then caused a puncture in the Air France Concorde's tyre that caused shards of rubber to pierce the fuel tanks, starting a fire and eventually causing the crash.
The flaming Concorde crashed next to a hotel, killing its 109 passengers and four hotel staff just a few moments after taking off.
The initial was described as absurd by the American company, which was nevertheless fined €200,000 and ordered to pay €1m in damages to Air France.
John Taylor, the Continental mechanic that fixed the strip, was given a 15-month suspended prison sentence.
The incident led to the taking out of service of the supersonic Concorde in 2003.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans