Concorde Paris Crash: Continental Airlines Cleared
By Umberto Bacchi | November 30, 2012 3:41 AM EST
A French court has cleared Continental Airlines of manslaughter charges in relation to the crash of a Concorde jet that killed 113 people in Paris in 2000.
The appeal court verdict overturned the 2010 ruling of a lower court, which found that mistakes by the company's mechanics led to the incident.
"We have long maintained that neither Continental nor its employees were responsible for this tragic event and are satisfied that this verdict was overturned," Continental spokesman Megan McCarthy said.
According to the first ruling, a titanium strip badly fixed to a Continental DC-10 aircraft fell onto the runway of Paris Charles de Gaulle airport. The strip then caused a puncture in the Air France Concorde's tyre that caused shards of rubber to pierce the fuel tanks, starting a fire and eventually causing the crash.
The flaming Concorde crashed next to a hotel, killing its 109 passengers and four hotel staff just a few moments after taking off.
The initial was described as absurd by the American company, which was nevertheless fined €200,000 and ordered to pay €1m in damages to Air France.
John Taylor, the Continental mechanic that fixed the strip, was given a 15-month suspended prison sentence.
The incident led to the taking out of service of the supersonic Concorde in 2003.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June