Concorde Paris Crash: Continental Airlines Cleared
By Umberto Bacchi | November 30, 2012 3:41 AM EST
A French court has cleared Continental Airlines of manslaughter charges in relation to the crash of a Concorde jet that killed 113 people in Paris in 2000.
The appeal court verdict overturned the 2010 ruling of a lower court, which found that mistakes by the company's mechanics led to the incident.
"We have long maintained that neither Continental nor its employees were responsible for this tragic event and are satisfied that this verdict was overturned," Continental spokesman Megan McCarthy said.
According to the first ruling, a titanium strip badly fixed to a Continental DC-10 aircraft fell onto the runway of Paris Charles de Gaulle airport. The strip then caused a puncture in the Air France Concorde's tyre that caused shards of rubber to pierce the fuel tanks, starting a fire and eventually causing the crash.
The flaming Concorde crashed next to a hotel, killing its 109 passengers and four hotel staff just a few moments after taking off.
The initial was described as absurd by the American company, which was nevertheless fined €200,000 and ordered to pay €1m in damages to Air France.
John Taylor, the Continental mechanic that fixed the strip, was given a 15-month suspended prison sentence.
The incident led to the taking out of service of the supersonic Concorde in 2003.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Video: Man's Privates Gets Exposed For the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- Perth Train Racist Attack Caught on Camera [VIDEO]
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza