Syria: Austrian Peacekeepers Wounded in Damascus Airport Battle
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | November 30, 2012 3:37 AM EST
Two Austrian peacekeepers have been wounded near Damascus airport after a UN convoy came under fire.
The two, who were serving with the UN in the Golan Heights, were caught in clashes between forces loyal to Bashar al-Assad and Syrian rebels near the main airport road, the Austrian defence minister has confirmed.
"The Austrian UN soldiers in the convoy and the two injured are already safe in the airport in Damascus," the ministry said. The injuries were not life-threatening.
"The Egypt Air plane has arrived and passengers are all safe but the pilot was instructed to take off back to Cairo without passengers if he felt that the situation ws not good to stay for longer," an official at Cairo airport said.
Online video showed warplanes bombing Kafr Souseh and Daraya, two neighbourhoods on the outskirts of the city centre where rebels ambushed army units.
Residents said internet connections in the capital went down in the early afternoon as well as mobile and land telephone lines.
Online research firm Renesys claimed that Syria's international internet connectivity had been shut down in a perceived bid to silence rebel forces.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff