The Android 4.2.1 (JOP40D) over-the-air (OTA) update is now available for the Nexus 7 and this update is to fix a number of small bugs, including the missing December issue. Users looking to update their Nexus 7 manually can follow this tutorial. IBTimes UK cautions users it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device during installation. We also urge users to ensure the Nexus 7 is running the Android (JOP40C) official update before applying this update. The previous official update should have stock recovery installed.
To Install Android 4.2.1 (JOP40D) Update on Nexus 7 (Non-Rooted)
- Download Android 4.2.1 (659e6288b87d.signed-nakasi-JOP40D-from-JOP40C.659e6288.zip) to computer and rename it as update.zip
- Connect device to computer via USB cable and copy update.zip to device's SD card
- Turn device off and boot into Bootloader mode (to do so, switch device on while holding Volume Up and Power buttons until Fastboot menu and Start appear)
- Follow onscreen instructions and keep pressing Volume Up until Recovery is highlighted and then press Power to select Recovery option
- An exclamation mark will now appear. Once again, hold Volume Up and Power buttons
- Choose Update from SD Card and then select the update.zip file using Power. The installation will begin
- The modified Nexus 7 will now boot-up
The non-rooted Nexus 7 should now be running the official Android 4.2.1 (JOP40D) version; to verify, browse to Settings > About Phone.
To Install Android 4.2.1 JOP40D Update on Nexus 7 (Rooted)
- Download Android 4.2.1 JOP40D update to computer
- Connect device to computer using USB cable and copy downloaded zip file to device's SD card
- Turn off device and enter Bootloader mode (to do so, turn on device while pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons)
- Follow onscreen instructions and press Volume Up until Recovery is highlighted
- In CWM Recovery, scroll to Flash Zip from SD Card and then select by pressing Power button
- Now, select Choose Zip from SD card
- Navigate to and choose Android 4.2.1 zip file. Tap Yes to confirm installation
- After installation, go to +++++Go Back and reboot the device by choosing Reboot System Now from Recovery menu
The Nexus 7 (rooted) should now be running Android 4.2.1 (JOP40D) update.
[Source: Team Android]
To contact the editor, e-mail: