Signed, Sealed but Undelivered: Stevie Wonder Pulls Out of Pro-Israel Gig
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | November 29, 2012 9:28 PM EST
The celebrated American singer insisted he previously knew nothing about the Friends of the IDF, the pressure group which is organising the concert. Having been briefed on the group's agenda, Wonder said the fundraiser would be inconsistent with his status as a UN "Messenger of Peace".
Wonder, who previously performed at a UN concert commemorating its 67th anniversary, came under pressure on social media to pull out of the event.
An online petition launched on the change.org website, urging him to change his mind over the IDF concert, gathered more than 4,000 signatures.
"You were arrested in 1985 protesting South African Apartheid, now we ask you: please remember that apartheid is apartheid, whether it comes from White Afrikaaner settlers of South Africa or from Jewish Israelis in Israel," the petition reads.
"Desmond Tutu has recognized that Israel's Apartheid is worse than South Africa's -- will you stand with us against apartheid and cancel your performance at the IDF fundraiser?"
The JTA quoted a "source who has read email exchanges between Wonder's representatives and organisers of the event".
Wonder performed at a gala marking Israel's 50th anniversary in 1998. However, he also received a traditional Palestinian kefia from an aide to PA leader Yasser Arafat in 1995.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Strike vs ISIS Countdown: Arab Nations Signify Intent to Join U.S. Fight
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- Russia to Create Emergency Fund for Sanctions-Hit Companies, to Build New Rail Line Bypassing Ukraine
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date