Current Account Deficit Might Come Down to 3.5 Percent This Fiscal: Varadarajan
By Sree Vazhakode | November 29, 2012 9:24 PM EST
India's current account deficit might come down to 3.5 percent by the end of the fiscal year, said C Rangarajan, Chairman of Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Council.
"The current account deficit is remaining at high level and we should work towards getting the current account deficit to more moderate levels. We should aim at the current account deficit of 2.5% of the GDP down from the current 4.5%. But in the current year, perhaps, the current account deficit may be around 3.5% of the GDP", said Rangarajan, as reported by PTI.
The current account deficit is a major challenge for the economy and there is a need to bring it down to moderate levels, he told reporters on the sidelines of a function.
India's current account deficit has come down mainly because of a decline in gold imports due to a lower demand in the domestic market owing to high prices. Gold imports constitute a major part of Indian imports.
He said that high inflation is still a major concern for the economy which is expected to grow at a modest 5.6 percent this year.
"In order to get back to the high level of growth, we need to address some major macroeconomic concerns -- first is to tame inflation. We had three years of high inflation. We need to bring it down to more comfortable levels. Second, the process of fiscal consolidation must continue and we should work towards getting the fiscal deficit down to three per cent of the GDP over the next five years," he said.
The high inflation rates have prevented the Reserve Bank of India from easing the monetary policy, despite a strong demand from the industry and the finance ministry.
The finance ministry had announced a fiscal consolidation map to achieve targets after much criticism for policy inaction from the industry and international rating agencies.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- American Doctor Dr Kent Brantly Survives Deadly Ebola, Released from Hospital, Sent Home
- Australian Tax Office Bitcoin Guidelines a 'Disappointment'; Virtual Currency Not Treated As Money
- Medicinal or Otherwise, Canadian Doctors Oppose Marijuana Smoking
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence