Current Account Deficit Might Come Down to 3.5 Percent This Fiscal: Varadarajan
By Sree Vazhakode | November 29, 2012 9:24 PM EST
India's current account deficit might come down to 3.5 percent by the end of the fiscal year, said C Rangarajan, Chairman of Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Council.
"The current account deficit is remaining at high level and we should work towards getting the current account deficit to more moderate levels. We should aim at the current account deficit of 2.5% of the GDP down from the current 4.5%. But in the current year, perhaps, the current account deficit may be around 3.5% of the GDP", said Rangarajan, as reported by PTI.
The current account deficit is a major challenge for the economy and there is a need to bring it down to moderate levels, he told reporters on the sidelines of a function.
India's current account deficit has come down mainly because of a decline in gold imports due to a lower demand in the domestic market owing to high prices. Gold imports constitute a major part of Indian imports.
He said that high inflation is still a major concern for the economy which is expected to grow at a modest 5.6 percent this year.
"In order to get back to the high level of growth, we need to address some major macroeconomic concerns -- first is to tame inflation. We had three years of high inflation. We need to bring it down to more comfortable levels. Second, the process of fiscal consolidation must continue and we should work towards getting the fiscal deficit down to three per cent of the GDP over the next five years," he said.
The high inflation rates have prevented the Reserve Bank of India from easing the monetary policy, despite a strong demand from the industry and the finance ministry.
The finance ministry had announced a fiscal consolidation map to achieve targets after much criticism for policy inaction from the industry and international rating agencies.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Smartphone Apps For The Workaholic
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored