Current Account Deficit Might Come Down to 3.5 Percent This Fiscal: Varadarajan
By Sree Vazhakode | November 29, 2012 9:24 PM EST
India's current account deficit might come down to 3.5 percent by the end of the fiscal year, said C Rangarajan, Chairman of Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Council.
"The current account deficit is remaining at high level and we should work towards getting the current account deficit to more moderate levels. We should aim at the current account deficit of 2.5% of the GDP down from the current 4.5%. But in the current year, perhaps, the current account deficit may be around 3.5% of the GDP", said Rangarajan, as reported by PTI.
The current account deficit is a major challenge for the economy and there is a need to bring it down to moderate levels, he told reporters on the sidelines of a function.
India's current account deficit has come down mainly because of a decline in gold imports due to a lower demand in the domestic market owing to high prices. Gold imports constitute a major part of Indian imports.
He said that high inflation is still a major concern for the economy which is expected to grow at a modest 5.6 percent this year.
"In order to get back to the high level of growth, we need to address some major macroeconomic concerns -- first is to tame inflation. We had three years of high inflation. We need to bring it down to more comfortable levels. Second, the process of fiscal consolidation must continue and we should work towards getting the fiscal deficit down to three per cent of the GDP over the next five years," he said.
The high inflation rates have prevented the Reserve Bank of India from easing the monetary policy, despite a strong demand from the industry and the finance ministry.
The finance ministry had announced a fiscal consolidation map to achieve targets after much criticism for policy inaction from the industry and international rating agencies.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How