Flipkart Forays into eBook Business through Flyte
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 29, 2012 9:07 PM EST
Bangalore-based online retailer Flipkart announced on Wednesday its entry into the eBook category market with its digital store Flyte.
According to the Flipkart, the Flyte store has an initial collection of over 1 lakh books starting from as little as ₹30. Readers can purchase and download the books from the e-showroom using their mobile devices.
"We have a growing, tech-savvy reader base that is constantly on the go -- and they are looking for options to buy and read their favorite books on their mobile devices instantly," said Sameer Nigam, VP-digital at Flipkart.com, at the launch event.
The books purchased from the eBook showroom can be read using the Flyte app which is currently available on devices using Android operating system. The Flyte app is available for download at Google Play store for Android users.
Flipkart said that the app for Windows 8 will be rolled out sometime soon.
Flyte offers features like free samples of each book on the website or mobile app, the ability to read each eBook on up to six devices, sync reading location, an app that allows users to purchase, download and read eBooks from the store. The digital service also lists around 4,000 free titles which can be used to test the app. Sync reading location will allow readers to exit a book on a particular device and continue reading from the same point in another device.
Flipkart, a company founded by young entrepreneurs Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal in 2007, initially started as online retailer for books and later expended to electronic goods and a variety of other products. The company had also launched a digital music store earlier in February.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Coming Out Gay Defies Corporate Norm: Tech Execs Applaud Inspiring Essay
- Bombshell, Shocking And Wild Read: Jefferies & Co. Sage Kelly Forces Wife To Have Sex With Clients For A Deal
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Walmart Sells ‘Fat Girl Costumes’ for Halloween
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists