Flipkart Forays into eBook Business through Flyte
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 29, 2012 9:07 PM EST
Bangalore-based online retailer Flipkart announced on Wednesday its entry into the eBook category market with its digital store Flyte.
According to the Flipkart, the Flyte store has an initial collection of over 1 lakh books starting from as little as ₹30. Readers can purchase and download the books from the e-showroom using their mobile devices.
"We have a growing, tech-savvy reader base that is constantly on the go -- and they are looking for options to buy and read their favorite books on their mobile devices instantly," said Sameer Nigam, VP-digital at Flipkart.com, at the launch event.
The books purchased from the eBook showroom can be read using the Flyte app which is currently available on devices using Android operating system. The Flyte app is available for download at Google Play store for Android users.
Flipkart said that the app for Windows 8 will be rolled out sometime soon.
Flyte offers features like free samples of each book on the website or mobile app, the ability to read each eBook on up to six devices, sync reading location, an app that allows users to purchase, download and read eBooks from the store. The digital service also lists around 4,000 free titles which can be used to test the app. Sync reading location will allow readers to exit a book on a particular device and continue reading from the same point in another device.
Flipkart, a company founded by young entrepreneurs Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal in 2007, initially started as online retailer for books and later expended to electronic goods and a variety of other products. The company had also launched a digital music store earlier in February.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Apple Inc Shifting to 'Lifestyle Brand' Under Tim Cook; Samsung Losing Smartphone Numbers War
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools