Afghanistan: Man Beheads 15-Year-Old Cousin Because He Wasn't Allowed to Marry Her
By Hannah Osborne | November 29, 2012 9:04 PM EST
A 15-year-old girl has been beheaded by her cousin in Kunduz, northern Afghanistan, because he was not allowed to marry her.
Reports suggest the teenager, known only as Gisa, was beheaded by her cousin Sadeq with a knife as she went to collect water from a stream in her village.
Police spokesman Sayed Sarwar Hosseini said Sadeq had repeatedly asked Gisa's family for permission to marry her, but he had been refused each time.
Her father said Gisa was too young to marry, prompting Sadeq to attack Gisa in tandem with with a friend named Massoud.
According to Nigerian newspaper Leadership, Sadeq has confessed to the murder.
"Police arrested Sadeq and his friend Massoud, who had helped him to kill the girl," Hosseini told the newspaper.
In 2009, the government in Afghanistan passed the Elimination of Violence against Women law, which criminalises child marriage, forced marriage, selling and buying women under the pretext of marriage, forced self-immolation and other acts of violence.
However, the country has struggled to apply the law. The UN's high commissioner for human rights, Navi Pillay, said: "Judges, prosecutors and police in many parts of Afghanistan have begun to use the new law, which is a positive development, but unfortunately only in a small percentage of violence against women cases.
"Although the law's implementation is clearly growing, there is a very long way to go before Afghan women are fully protected from violence and their equality is properly upheld through this important law."
Between March 2010 and 2011, the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission registered 2,299 acts of violence against women which contravened the 2009 law.
However, the UN found that just 26 percent of these cases were pursued. Courts filed indictments in just seven per cent of the cases and used the EVAW law as the basis of their judgments in four percent of the total incidents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- 'Boob Aid': Japanese Porn Stars 'Excited' For 24HR Breasts Squeezing Charity
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique