Afghanistan: Man Beheads 15-Year-Old Cousin Because He Wasn't Allowed to Marry Her
By Hannah Osborne | November 29, 2012 9:04 PM EST
A 15-year-old girl has been beheaded by her cousin in Kunduz, northern Afghanistan, because he was not allowed to marry her.
Reports suggest the teenager, known only as Gisa, was beheaded by her cousin Sadeq with a knife as she went to collect water from a stream in her village.
Police spokesman Sayed Sarwar Hosseini said Sadeq had repeatedly asked Gisa's family for permission to marry her, but he had been refused each time.
Her father said Gisa was too young to marry, prompting Sadeq to attack Gisa in tandem with with a friend named Massoud.
According to Nigerian newspaper Leadership, Sadeq has confessed to the murder.
"Police arrested Sadeq and his friend Massoud, who had helped him to kill the girl," Hosseini told the newspaper.
In 2009, the government in Afghanistan passed the Elimination of Violence against Women law, which criminalises child marriage, forced marriage, selling and buying women under the pretext of marriage, forced self-immolation and other acts of violence.
However, the country has struggled to apply the law. The UN's high commissioner for human rights, Navi Pillay, said: "Judges, prosecutors and police in many parts of Afghanistan have begun to use the new law, which is a positive development, but unfortunately only in a small percentage of violence against women cases.
"Although the law's implementation is clearly growing, there is a very long way to go before Afghan women are fully protected from violence and their equality is properly upheld through this important law."
Between March 2010 and 2011, the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission registered 2,299 acts of violence against women which contravened the 2009 law.
However, the UN found that just 26 percent of these cases were pursued. Courts filed indictments in just seven per cent of the cases and used the EVAW law as the basis of their judgments in four percent of the total incidents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Trina Targets French Montana And Kardashian In A Song To Show What Happens To A Reject
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best