South Korea Cancels Space Rocket Launch
By Geetha Pillai | November 29, 2012 8:35 PM EST
South Korea has cancelled its attempt to launch a space rocket to put a satellite in orbit from its own soil, considered a major step towards the country's development of space programme.
Scientists in South Korea cited technical problems in its flight control system as the reason for scrapping the launch of Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1), also known as Naro-1. The launch was aborted just 17 minutes before the scheduled launch at 04:00pm local time (07:00 GMT).
"Abnormal signals from the thrust vector system of the upper (second) stage rocket of Naro have been detected," said Cho Yul-rae, vice minister for science and technology.
It was the second time Seoul was cancelling the launch due to technical problems. The launch was originally scheduled in October. South Korea said the satellite was intended for collecting climate data.
However, the officials did not announce any future date for a fresh attempt. "Future plans will be announced later after more thoroughly investigating the problem," Science Minister Lee Ju-ho told reporters.
The first stage of Naro-1 rocket with a 170-ton thrust engine was built by Russia's Khrunichev State Research and Production Space Center while the second stage was indigenously built by South Korea. The Russian agency provided the first stages of the previous two failed attempts, once in 2009 and then again in 2010.
Meanwhile, there were reports that South's arch rival North Korea is also planning a rocket launch. Images collected by satellite operator DigitalGlobe showed an increased activity in the North's Sohae Satellite Launch Station.
"Given the observed level of activity noted of a new tent, trucks, people and numerous portable fuel/oxidiser tanks, should North Korea desire, it could possibly conduct its fifth satellite launch event during the next three weeks," said Digital Globe.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Luckiest Koala: Hit by a Car and Hung On To It From Maryborough to Gympie
- New Technology to Build Invisible Material Using Light: Study Says
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- Streaks of Jealousy Found Among Dogs
- Health Experts Plead Action to Prevent Skin Cancer Epidemic in New Zealand
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies