Australians Warned of Deadly Summer Sun
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 29, 2012 2:28 PM EST
Australians wanting to have that tanned skin may well have it this summer season, but still beware as weather forecasters predict the country could be facing more of the sun's radiant glory.
For this day alone, temperature in Adelaide is forecast to hit a top 40 degrees, in what could become the seventh hottest day in a row above 30 degrees for the state this year.
Melbourne could experience 38 degrees today or higher, while Mildura a high of 44 degrees. Canberra would sizzle at 33 degrees, Brisbane at 31 degrees. Darwin could reach 34 degrees.
States that could most probably experience cooler temperatures today are Sydney at 28 degrees, Hobart at 27 degrees and Perth at 20 degrees.
People may have to start getting used to hotter days, along with droughts, floods, heatwaves and devastating storms.
"Climate change is taking place before our eyes and will continue to do so," Michel Jarraud, World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) chief, said in a statement.
Meantime, Australians living in NSW have been cautioned to take it easy staying under the sun, especially in the afternoon as a heatwave has been forecast to occur in the coming days and potentially sweeping across parts of NSW. Western NSW, western Sydney and the lower Blue Mountains could experience searing temperatures of high 30s over the weekend.
Total fire bans have likewise been put up in South Australia due to the forecast heat that could lead to extreme fire conditions. It has been two years since bans were placed in every district of the state, including metropolitan Adelaide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air