17-Year-Old Dies After Drinking Poppy Tea – 5 Things to Know About the Poppy Crop
By Arlene Paredes | November 29, 2012 2:07 PM EST
A 17-year-old male from southern Tasmania was found dead at his home after drinking tea made from poppy heads. An inspector suspects the young man brewed an unregulated amount of poppy heads.
The coroner has yet to confirm the cause of death, but authorities suspected the young man succumbed to the lethal effects of too much opioid in the system.
"If you consume those opioids in that unregulated way, the consequences can be obviously lethal," Tasmania Inspector John Arnold told ABC.
"A 50-year-old northern Tasmanian man died in similar circumstances in February last year," Inspector Arnold recalled. He also noted the last poppy-associated death occurred in 2004.
5 Things to Know About the Poppy Seed
1. The kidney-shaped poppy seed comes from the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum). The drug opium is produced by extracting latex from unripe seed pods. But the plant itself contains opium alkaloids, like morphine and codeine.
2. Ancient civilizations have planted and harvested the opium poppy. The seeds are used either whole or ground, or pressed to yield poppyseed oil. The Egyptians recognize them as sedatives.
3. Poppy seeds are used as food spice, condiment, and even a main ingredient. They are used in preparing sweets, too.
4. Death, as well as anaphylaxis (allergic reaction than can be fatal) resulting from allergy to poppy seeds, is very rare.
5. Digesting meals prepared with poppy seeds can result in a false positive for opiates in a drug test. The presence of opium registers correctly, but the opiates levels were far too low to produce narcotic effects. A woman who has just given birth in Pennsylvania had to take a hospital to a legal battle after she was suspected of being drug user. It turned out she had eaten a bagel with poppy seed before giving birth.
Tasmania's poppy crop, which is now approaching harvest season, is estimated to worth $100 million, ABC reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People