Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/29/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 29, 2012 1:48 PM EST
Local stocks are recording positive gains at lunchtime in the East, despite a fairly flat start to the trading session. Overnight, Wall Street staged a remarkable comeback on hopes an agreement on the Fiscal Cliff could be reached before Christmas.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is up 16.3pts or 0.4pct to 4478.9.
Index leader BHP Billiton (BHP) is holding its Annual Gernal Meeting (AGM) today. The miner has told shareholders global financial problems continue although there are some signs of stabilisation. At lunchtime in the East, BHP shares are up 0.4pct to $34.15.
Rio Tinto (RIO) meanwhile has announced plans to slash up to US$5 billion in spending by the end of 2014, as the short-term macroeconomic outlook remains volatile. RIO shares are firmer by 0.8pct to $57.13.
Also holding AGMs today: Seek Limited (SEK) and Ramsay Health Care (RHC). SEK shares are firmer by 0.9pct to $6.74 in the early session while RHC is down 0.4pct to $26.21.
Australia´s housing sector posted a mild rise in October, with new home sales lifting after three months of falls. The Housing Industry Association (HIA) new home sales report showed a 3.4pct increase for the month, after drops of 3.7pct and 5.3pct in September and August respectively.
At lunchtime in the East, the Aussie dollar is buying US104.6c, £0.6532 and €80.78c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June