Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/29/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 29, 2012 1:48 PM EST
Local stocks are recording positive gains at lunchtime in the East, despite a fairly flat start to the trading session. Overnight, Wall Street staged a remarkable comeback on hopes an agreement on the Fiscal Cliff could be reached before Christmas.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is up 16.3pts or 0.4pct to 4478.9.
Index leader BHP Billiton (BHP) is holding its Annual Gernal Meeting (AGM) today. The miner has told shareholders global financial problems continue although there are some signs of stabilisation. At lunchtime in the East, BHP shares are up 0.4pct to $34.15.
Rio Tinto (RIO) meanwhile has announced plans to slash up to US$5 billion in spending by the end of 2014, as the short-term macroeconomic outlook remains volatile. RIO shares are firmer by 0.8pct to $57.13.
Also holding AGMs today: Seek Limited (SEK) and Ramsay Health Care (RHC). SEK shares are firmer by 0.9pct to $6.74 in the early session while RHC is down 0.4pct to $26.21.
Australia´s housing sector posted a mild rise in October, with new home sales lifting after three months of falls. The Housing Industry Association (HIA) new home sales report showed a 3.4pct increase for the month, after drops of 3.7pct and 5.3pct in September and August respectively.
At lunchtime in the East, the Aussie dollar is buying US104.6c, £0.6532 and €80.78c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier