Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/29/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 29, 2012 1:48 PM EST
Local stocks are recording positive gains at lunchtime in the East, despite a fairly flat start to the trading session. Overnight, Wall Street staged a remarkable comeback on hopes an agreement on the Fiscal Cliff could be reached before Christmas.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is up 16.3pts or 0.4pct to 4478.9.
Index leader BHP Billiton (BHP) is holding its Annual Gernal Meeting (AGM) today. The miner has told shareholders global financial problems continue although there are some signs of stabilisation. At lunchtime in the East, BHP shares are up 0.4pct to $34.15.
Rio Tinto (RIO) meanwhile has announced plans to slash up to US$5 billion in spending by the end of 2014, as the short-term macroeconomic outlook remains volatile. RIO shares are firmer by 0.8pct to $57.13.
Also holding AGMs today: Seek Limited (SEK) and Ramsay Health Care (RHC). SEK shares are firmer by 0.9pct to $6.74 in the early session while RHC is down 0.4pct to $26.21.
Australia´s housing sector posted a mild rise in October, with new home sales lifting after three months of falls. The Housing Industry Association (HIA) new home sales report showed a 3.4pct increase for the month, after drops of 3.7pct and 5.3pct in September and August respectively.
At lunchtime in the East, the Aussie dollar is buying US104.6c, £0.6532 and €80.78c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped