Toyota Australia has Expanded its Hybrid Family Once More with the Addition of the New Luxury-spec Toyota Prius V i-Tech.
By Car Advice | November 29, 2012 1:21 PM EST
Kia Australia believes that its localization program for its vehicles is a huge deal for its on-going success in our market.
Kia has spent the last several years emphasising that all its new Australian-delivered models are tuned for our roads and conditions, bringing a local flavour to the Korean company's operations.
Speaking to CarAdvice in Los Angeles, Kia Australia's national press manager, Kevin Hepworth, said that Kia Australia got permission from Korea to spend its R&D budget on locally tuning the suspension and steering of its vehicles.
The company has made significant ground in improving not only the driving dynamics of its vehicles, but also the market perception of its ride and handling quality. More importantly, it's not necessarily just to improve the vehicle's dynamics, but also to showcase that Kia goes the extra mile and makes the effort for Australian customers.
"What they [Kia customers] do know and what they feel, is that Kia cares about what the Australian driver gets and that's important. We understand that you have a particular requirement or desire in your car and we are trying to give you that" Hepworth said.
Kia Australia firstly specifies a starting point to Kia Korea for the initial build, then brings the cars to Australia for a significant local tuning operation, which can take up to three months. From there, it sends the new locally adjusted suspension and steering settings back to the factory for the final build.
The local tuning arm does approximately 20-30 different combinations of torsion beam, rollbars, suspension springs and shock settings as well as steering feel before finding the best mix.
On the whole scheme of things, localisation operations has nudged Kia ahead of its bigger sister company, Hyundai (which conducts its own localisation program), in terms of market perception for ride and handling.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- All-New Mazda2 to Roll Out in Australia This Summer
- Much-Awaited Mazda MX-5 Limited Edition in Australia
- 75 Dead from China Car Parts Plant Blast, Poor Safety Measures Blamed
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans