Hydro Tasmania Seeks Residents’ Approval of $2B Wind Farm Project
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 29, 2012 9:52 AM EST
Although Hydro Tasmania's proposed $2-billion 600-megawatt wind farm has the potential to become the largest wind farm in the southern hemisphere, the company wants the approval of King Island residents before they begin construction.
The largest, so far, is the Waubra Wind Farm in Victoria, which has attracted negative attention since construction began, which is something that Hydro Tasmania wants to avoid.
The venture was found to be technically, economically and environmentally viable and was endorsed by the three major political parties in the Australian state. The wind farm will have 200 turbines on Bass Strait isle.
The winds that flow through King Island are known to be so strong that residents have called it the Roaring 40s, making the island the ideal location to build the wind farm.
But Hydro Tasmania Chair David Crean said he would rather seek first the green light from the 1,600 King Island residents through a three-month consultation period.
If approved, the project would generate 2,400 gigawatts of renewable energy for the national market sufficient to power 240,000 homes. Hydro Tasmania plans to sell the output to the Victorian electricity grid through an underwater cable across Bass Strait.
The project would add more than 5 per cent of the country's renewable energy target and cut carbon emissions by about 1.9 million tonnes annually, Hydro Tasmania estimates.
Tasmanian Premier Lara Giddings and the state Opposition supported the project because it would be the biggest single infrastructure project in the state's history and raise millions of dollars a year in extra revenue, plus require major upgrades to King Island's road and port infrastructure and create jobs locally.
During the two-year construction phase, about 500 jobs would be created and when the wind farm becomes operational, it would create 10 to 20 jobs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighters Have Found A Bone In Mars Amidst Reports of UFO Sighting[Watch Video]
- Alien Base Found on Moon: UFO Enthusiasts Celebrate [Watch Video]
- Facts on ALS disease: symptoms, causes and treatment
- Top UFO Sightings Ever [Watch Videos]
- Climate Change Has Given Birth to New Hybrid Species: Transformation Before Man's Eyes
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features