'Downton Abbey' Creator Developing American Spinoff With NBC
By Eric Brown | November 29, 2012 8:46 AM EST
American fans of the hit British period drama “Downton Abbey” have new cause to celebrate Wednesday. Not only is the third season beginning on American television in January, but series creator Julian Fellowes is developing a spinoff exclusively for American audiences with NBC.
The American “Downton Abbey” spinoff will be called “The Gilded Age” and set in late 19th century New York City. The show will follow the lives of several wealthy New Yorkers in the late 1880s, so think more along the lines of Andrew Carnegie than Matthew Crawley.
Official word from NBC describes “The Gilded Age” as “an epic tale of the princes of the American Renaissance and the vast fortunes made -- and spent -- in late 19th century New York.”
A pilot episode for “The Gilded Age” is in production with Fellowes as head writer. If NBC picks up the series for a full season — which is likely given the press “The Gilded Age” is receiving — he will work as an executive producer for the series while also writing and producing the fourth series of “Downton Abbey.”
While “The Gilded Age” will be set a few decades before the World War I-era “Downton Abbey,” Fellowes believes the period will be equally dramatic and compelling.
“This was a vivid time with dizzying, brilliant ascents and calamitous falls; of record-breaking ostentation and savage rivalry; a time when money was king,” Fellowes told the Telegraph.
Fellowes also has some newfound experience writing American characters. “Downton Abbey” introduced American millionaire Martha Levinson in the show’s third series.
While there is no official word about a connection between Levinson and “The Gilded Age,” it is possible that the spinoff will at least make mention of Levinson and her husband, who amassed a large fortune in the Midwest.
NBC seems to be equally excited at the prospect of a “Downton Abbey” spinoff, telling the Telegraph, “We at the network are all so thrilled to be working with the immensely talented Julian Fellowes, who is universally admired for his critically and commercially appealing productions.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop