'Downton Abbey' Creator Developing American Spinoff With NBC
By Eric Brown | November 29, 2012 8:46 AM EST
American fans of the hit British period drama “Downton Abbey” have new cause to celebrate Wednesday. Not only is the third season beginning on American television in January, but series creator Julian Fellowes is developing a spinoff exclusively for American audiences with NBC.
The American “Downton Abbey” spinoff will be called “The Gilded Age” and set in late 19th century New York City. The show will follow the lives of several wealthy New Yorkers in the late 1880s, so think more along the lines of Andrew Carnegie than Matthew Crawley.
Official word from NBC describes “The Gilded Age” as “an epic tale of the princes of the American Renaissance and the vast fortunes made -- and spent -- in late 19th century New York.”
A pilot episode for “The Gilded Age” is in production with Fellowes as head writer. If NBC picks up the series for a full season — which is likely given the press “The Gilded Age” is receiving — he will work as an executive producer for the series while also writing and producing the fourth series of “Downton Abbey.”
While “The Gilded Age” will be set a few decades before the World War I-era “Downton Abbey,” Fellowes believes the period will be equally dramatic and compelling.
“This was a vivid time with dizzying, brilliant ascents and calamitous falls; of record-breaking ostentation and savage rivalry; a time when money was king,” Fellowes told the Telegraph.
Fellowes also has some newfound experience writing American characters. “Downton Abbey” introduced American millionaire Martha Levinson in the show’s third series.
While there is no official word about a connection between Levinson and “The Gilded Age,” it is possible that the spinoff will at least make mention of Levinson and her husband, who amassed a large fortune in the Midwest.
NBC seems to be equally excited at the prospect of a “Downton Abbey” spinoff, telling the Telegraph, “We at the network are all so thrilled to be working with the immensely talented Julian Fellowes, who is universally admired for his critically and commercially appealing productions.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]