Dodgers Trade News: Zack Greinke, Anibal Sanchez, and Kyle Lohse on L.A.'s Radar?
November 29, 2012 5:54 AM EST
News came out Tuesday that free agent starter Zack Greinke will not re-sign with the Los Angeles Angels, which now leaves the L.A. Dodgers and the Texas Rangers as the veteran righty’s top suitors.
Greinke is seen as the top pitcher in a sparse free agent market this winter, and the Dodgers new owners have already showed the willingness to spend when they put up $25.7 million just to negotiate with Korean lefty Ryu Hyun-jin.
There is no question perennial Cy-Young candidate Clayton Kershaw is the club’s No. 1 starter, but L.A. needs a solid No. 2 in their rotation behind him, and Greinke could be the answer. The 29-year-old Greinke went 6-2 in 13 starts for the Angels last season, with a 3.53 ERA after he was traded from Milwaukee.
He signed a 4-year $38 million in 2009, but he reportedly is asking for much more. According to CBS Sports, a seven-year deal worth $140 to $150 million could be in the making.
Injuires to starters Ted Lilly and Chad Billingsley have wearkened the Dodgers' rotation significantly. Lilly had arthroscopic surgery on his pitching shoulder in September, and it is unclear when the 37-year-old will return. Billingsley injured his elbow, and the Dodgers were initially worried he would need Tommy John surgery, but thankfully no surgery was required and he is currently rehabbing in Arizona, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Detroit’s Anibal Sanchez and St. Louis’s Kyle Lohse are also options. Sanchez is reportedly looking for a five to six year deal in the range of $75 to $90 million, while Lohse turned down a one-year qualifying offer of $13.5 million earlier this month.
Lohse had the the best winning percentage in the NL last season, and also led the league with 33 starts. Sanchez was an unimpressive 9-13 last year, but he’s averaged 195 innings a season over the last three years, and had a 1.77 ERA three starts during the playoffs.
There is even speculation that the Dodgers are amassing arms to make a trade for another top starter like James Shields, Felix Hernandez, or Cliff Lee.
Should L.A. bring in Greinke, and come to terms with Sanchez, Lohse, or Ryu, they can create a sizable and tempting package for one league’s aces in Hernandez, Lee, or Shields, according to Dodgers.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015