Wiggins Unlikely To Lead Team Sky In 2013 Tour de France
By Vanessa Keller | November 29, 2012 4:09 AM EST
Team Sky boss Dave Brailsford has revealed that Bradley Wiggins is unlikely to lead the team for the 2013 Tour de France, with the honour to be given to Chris Froome.
Froome was a member of the team which won the 2012 Tour de France, and at times in the later stages of the race he looked stronger than Wiggins. And with the Olympic gold medal winner looking likely to target victory in the Tour of Italy, Froome is shaping up as the perfect next leader for the team as they look to hold onto the title.
"The Tour of Italy would be a very good target for Bradley and leave Froomy then to focus on the Tour de France," Brailsford said, according to the BBC.
But he insisted that it had not been fully decided who would lead the Tour de France race yet, saying the move hasn't been "completely been signed off."
Wiggins has been the face of a resurgence in cycling throughout Britain, and on the back of winning gold at the 2012 London Olympics, he is now the hot favourite to win this year's Sports Personality of the Year award.
While it seems to be a golden year for cyclists in Britain, some of Brailsford's colleague have moved on to work in other sports, but he insists that the changes in cycling's management won't change how successful the sport is itself.
"It's inevitable, but it means you get fresh people and new ideas," he explained.
"Matt Parker and our two performance analysts went off to rugby, but Matt had been there 10 years and if you carry on with the same group at some point in time you are going to get myopic.
"So I think bringing in people with new ideas that we listen to is healthy."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans