Wiggins Unlikely To Lead Team Sky In 2013 Tour de France
By Vanessa Keller | November 29, 2012 4:09 AM EST
Team Sky boss Dave Brailsford has revealed that Bradley Wiggins is unlikely to lead the team for the 2013 Tour de France, with the honour to be given to Chris Froome.
Froome was a member of the team which won the 2012 Tour de France, and at times in the later stages of the race he looked stronger than Wiggins. And with the Olympic gold medal winner looking likely to target victory in the Tour of Italy, Froome is shaping up as the perfect next leader for the team as they look to hold onto the title.
"The Tour of Italy would be a very good target for Bradley and leave Froomy then to focus on the Tour de France," Brailsford said, according to the BBC.
But he insisted that it had not been fully decided who would lead the Tour de France race yet, saying the move hasn't been "completely been signed off."
Wiggins has been the face of a resurgence in cycling throughout Britain, and on the back of winning gold at the 2012 London Olympics, he is now the hot favourite to win this year's Sports Personality of the Year award.
While it seems to be a golden year for cyclists in Britain, some of Brailsford's colleague have moved on to work in other sports, but he insists that the changes in cycling's management won't change how successful the sport is itself.
"It's inevitable, but it means you get fresh people and new ideas," he explained.
"Matt Parker and our two performance analysts went off to rugby, but Matt had been there 10 years and if you carry on with the same group at some point in time you are going to get myopic.
"So I think bringing in people with new ideas that we listen to is healthy."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories