Wiggins Unlikely To Lead Team Sky In 2013 Tour de France
By Vanessa Keller | November 29, 2012 4:09 AM EST
Team Sky boss Dave Brailsford has revealed that Bradley Wiggins is unlikely to lead the team for the 2013 Tour de France, with the honour to be given to Chris Froome.
Froome was a member of the team which won the 2012 Tour de France, and at times in the later stages of the race he looked stronger than Wiggins. And with the Olympic gold medal winner looking likely to target victory in the Tour of Italy, Froome is shaping up as the perfect next leader for the team as they look to hold onto the title.
"The Tour of Italy would be a very good target for Bradley and leave Froomy then to focus on the Tour de France," Brailsford said, according to the BBC.
But he insisted that it had not been fully decided who would lead the Tour de France race yet, saying the move hasn't been "completely been signed off."
Wiggins has been the face of a resurgence in cycling throughout Britain, and on the back of winning gold at the 2012 London Olympics, he is now the hot favourite to win this year's Sports Personality of the Year award.
While it seems to be a golden year for cyclists in Britain, some of Brailsford's colleague have moved on to work in other sports, but he insists that the changes in cycling's management won't change how successful the sport is itself.
"It's inevitable, but it means you get fresh people and new ideas," he explained.
"Matt Parker and our two performance analysts went off to rugby, but Matt had been there 10 years and if you carry on with the same group at some point in time you are going to get myopic.
"So I think bringing in people with new ideas that we listen to is healthy."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools