Wiggins Unlikely To Lead Team Sky In 2013 Tour de France
By Vanessa Keller | November 29, 2012 4:09 AM EST
Team Sky boss Dave Brailsford has revealed that Bradley Wiggins is unlikely to lead the team for the 2013 Tour de France, with the honour to be given to Chris Froome.
Froome was a member of the team which won the 2012 Tour de France, and at times in the later stages of the race he looked stronger than Wiggins. And with the Olympic gold medal winner looking likely to target victory in the Tour of Italy, Froome is shaping up as the perfect next leader for the team as they look to hold onto the title.
"The Tour of Italy would be a very good target for Bradley and leave Froomy then to focus on the Tour de France," Brailsford said, according to the BBC.
But he insisted that it had not been fully decided who would lead the Tour de France race yet, saying the move hasn't been "completely been signed off."
Wiggins has been the face of a resurgence in cycling throughout Britain, and on the back of winning gold at the 2012 London Olympics, he is now the hot favourite to win this year's Sports Personality of the Year award.
While it seems to be a golden year for cyclists in Britain, some of Brailsford's colleague have moved on to work in other sports, but he insists that the changes in cycling's management won't change how successful the sport is itself.
"It's inevitable, but it means you get fresh people and new ideas," he explained.
"Matt Parker and our two performance analysts went off to rugby, but Matt had been there 10 years and if you carry on with the same group at some point in time you are going to get myopic.
"So I think bringing in people with new ideas that we listen to is healthy."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date