Wiggins Unlikely To Lead Team Sky In 2013 Tour de France
By Vanessa Keller | November 29, 2012 4:09 AM EST
Team Sky boss Dave Brailsford has revealed that Bradley Wiggins is unlikely to lead the team for the 2013 Tour de France, with the honour to be given to Chris Froome.
Froome was a member of the team which won the 2012 Tour de France, and at times in the later stages of the race he looked stronger than Wiggins. And with the Olympic gold medal winner looking likely to target victory in the Tour of Italy, Froome is shaping up as the perfect next leader for the team as they look to hold onto the title.
"The Tour of Italy would be a very good target for Bradley and leave Froomy then to focus on the Tour de France," Brailsford said, according to the BBC.
But he insisted that it had not been fully decided who would lead the Tour de France race yet, saying the move hasn't been "completely been signed off."
Wiggins has been the face of a resurgence in cycling throughout Britain, and on the back of winning gold at the 2012 London Olympics, he is now the hot favourite to win this year's Sports Personality of the Year award.
While it seems to be a golden year for cyclists in Britain, some of Brailsford's colleague have moved on to work in other sports, but he insists that the changes in cycling's management won't change how successful the sport is itself.
"It's inevitable, but it means you get fresh people and new ideas," he explained.
"Matt Parker and our two performance analysts went off to rugby, but Matt had been there 10 years and if you carry on with the same group at some point in time you are going to get myopic.
"So I think bringing in people with new ideas that we listen to is healthy."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time