New York Nanny Yoselyn Ortega Pleads Not Guilty to Murdering Krim Children
By Hannah Osborne | November 29, 2012 3:39 AM EST
New York nanny Yoselyn Ortega has pleaded not guilty to stabbing two small children to death in the bath of their Manhattan apartment.
Ortega, 50, was indicted on murder charges earlier this month after the two children, Lucia and Leo Krim, were found dead by their mother, Marina Krim, on 25 October.
Leo, 2, and Lucia, 6, were the children of CNBC media executive Kevin Krim.
Ortega was arraigned today in hospital, where she is being treated for self-inflicted stab wounds.
The nanny had worked for the Krim family for two years. She was formally arrested after police interviewed her from her hospital bed.
During the police interviews, Ortega admitted to hurting the children but denied murdering them.
Leo and Lucia were discovered by their mother after she returned home with her three-year-old daughter from a swimming lesson.
Following a memorial service held for the children on 5 November, Kevin and Marina Krim said in a statement: "We want to thank you for your extraordinary outpouring of love and kindness.
"Lulu and Leo were two of our three best friends, and we miss them so much. Our daughter Nessie is very strong, and with your support we will be strong for her."
After Ortega woke up from her coma, a police source told the New York Post that she had been angry at the Krim family after being asked to do housework.
"She said something like, 'I'm paid to watch the children, not clean up and do housework'. There was friction between her and the family," they said.
"They were asking her to clean, to do housework. She was unhappy about that. She was told that if she didn't improve her work, she would be let go."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Explosion in Canada Damages Building, Five Injured
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate