SEC might take action against SAC Capital Advisors
By Svea Herbst-Bayliss and Katya Wachtel | November 29, 2012 2:35 AM EST
Steven A. Cohen's SAC Capital Advisors has received a Wells notice from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, suggesting the regulator may bring civil charges of insider trading against the hedge fund firm, a person familiar with the matter said.
The $14 billion hedge fund firm held a phone call with investors on Wednesday morning to inform them of the notice, the source said.
A Wells notice indicates that SEC staff would recommend a civil enforcement action against the firm.
Cohen, who founded the firm, has not been accused of wrongdoing. He was on the telephone call on Wednesday morning, the source said.
This is the first time the government has indicated it may move against the hedge fund firm itself on insider trading, after previously accusing only former SAC employees.
Last week a fifth former SAC employee was arrested and charged with having used illegally obtained information to trade healthcare stocks Elan Corp Plc and Wyeth, which is now owned by Pfizer Inc
SAC again told investors that it would bear all legal costs in defending itself against any legal action, the source said.
(Reporting By Svea Herbst-Bayliss and Katya Wachtel; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch