SAC Capital notified of possible SEC enforcement action
By Svea Herbst-Bayliss and Katya Wachtel | November 29, 2012 2:28 AM EST
Steven A. Cohen's SAC Capital Advisors has received a Wells notice from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, suggesting the regulator may bring civil charges of insider trading against the hedge fund firm, a person familiar with the matter said.
The $14 billion hedge fund firm held a phone call with investors on Wednesday morning to inform them of the notice, the source said.
A Wells notice indicates that SEC staff would recommend a civil enforcement action against the firm.
Cohen, who founded the firm, has not been accused of wrongdoing. He was on the telephone call on Wednesday morning, the source said.
This is the first time the government has indicated it may move against the hedge fund firm itself on insider trading, after previously accusing only former SAC employees.
Last week a fifth former SAC employee was arrested and charged with having used illegally obtained information to trade healthcare stocks Elan Corp Plc and Wyeth, which is now owned by Pfizer Inc
SAC again told investors that it would bear all legal costs in defending itself against any legal action, the source said.
(Reporting By Svea Herbst-Bayliss and Katya Wachtel; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales