SAC Capital notified of possible SEC enforcement action
By Svea Herbst-Bayliss and Katya Wachtel | November 29, 2012 2:28 AM EST
Steven A. Cohen's SAC Capital Advisors has received a Wells notice from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, suggesting the regulator may bring civil charges of insider trading against the hedge fund firm, a person familiar with the matter said.
The $14 billion hedge fund firm held a phone call with investors on Wednesday morning to inform them of the notice, the source said.
A Wells notice indicates that SEC staff would recommend a civil enforcement action against the firm.
Cohen, who founded the firm, has not been accused of wrongdoing. He was on the telephone call on Wednesday morning, the source said.
This is the first time the government has indicated it may move against the hedge fund firm itself on insider trading, after previously accusing only former SAC employees.
Last week a fifth former SAC employee was arrested and charged with having used illegally obtained information to trade healthcare stocks Elan Corp Plc and Wyeth, which is now owned by Pfizer Inc
SAC again told investors that it would bear all legal costs in defending itself against any legal action, the source said.
(Reporting By Svea Herbst-Bayliss and Katya Wachtel; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money