New York: Police Report First Violent-Crime-Free Day
By Ewan Palmer | November 29, 2012 2:26 AM EST
On Monday, police in New York reported a statistic almost unheard of in a city synonymous with crime - an entire day went by without anyone being shot, stabbed or slashed.
Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said he could not remember the last time the city went through an entire day with any of the so called 'big three' crimes taking place.
"Nice way to start the week," Browne added.
The streak ended at around 11:20 local time on Tuesday, when a 27-year-old man was shot in Brooklyn, New York Daily News reported.
A 16-year-old boy was sent to a Bronx hospital with a gunshot wound to his thigh, but police determined the teenager accidently shot himself and was not involved in any crime.
This latest statistic has continued an apparent trend seen lately in New York, with the city expected to finish with about 400 murders, down from 472 last year.
There have also been 10 percent fewer people shot, down from 1,674 last year to 1,514 in 2012 - roughly about five a day.
Tom Reppetto, a NYPD historian and author of American Police, 1945-2012 , said of the figures: "They're going to come in with the fewest number of murders since about 1960.
"It's an almost impossible figure, but their [the police's] programs have been fabulously successful in stopping crime."
Reppetto compared this figure to 1990, when the city logged a record 2,245 murders.
"There were shootings galore,'' Reppetto said.
"We lived in a town where people were afraid to come out of their houses, where babies slept in bathtubs to avoid getting shot, where nursery schools ran drills - 'When you hear the shots, drop down.'"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Indonesia Uses Russian-Built Fighter Jets In Chasing For Australian Plane
- Move Over, Jeremy Meeks; Brazil Has A Handsome Crook With 39 Murders On Record
- Producers Allowed to Sue ‘Femme Fatales’ Actress Anne Greene For Refusing Nude Scenes
- Islamic State: Aussie Terrorism Suspect Was In Same Video When Runaway Teenager Threatened PM Abbott
- Islamic State: From Beheading Men, IS Moves To Stoning Adulteress To Death
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop