Lazio Players Hit Out At Racism As President Visits Injured Tottenham Fan
By Vanessa Keller | November 29, 2012 2:13 AM EST
Lazio player shave donned jerseys with the words 'NO RACISM' in large white letters as they aim to clean up their image following a series of incidents with Tottenham fans, including racist chants by fans and a reported attack on Spurs supporters at a local pub in Rome.
Lazio were found guilty of using racist chants by UEFA after the first leg of their Europa League match with Tottenham, and were subsequently fined £32,500, but this wasn't the end of the controversy for the Italian outfit.
As Tottenham travelled to Rome to face the side in the second leg, the north London side were reportedly subjected to more racial chants. And two of their fans were badly injured in a mass assault on Spurs fans at a local Roman pub, where fans who are now believed to have been Roma supporters rather than Lazio led an attack that left supporter Ashley Mills fighting for his life in hospital.
While the affinities of the supporters who attacked the fans are still being investigated, Lazio are still moving to stop their fans from signing the racist chants, and the players wearing the shirts seemed to have a positive effect on the crowd, with the majority of supporters booing and drowning out the Ultras as they sang anti-Jewish songs about Roma.
Lazio president Caludio Lotito also visited Mills in hospital to offer his sympathies, as UEFA look into the accusations that fans were racist against Tottenham for a second time.
In the match where Lazio players donned the tops, they won against Udinese 3-0, and the club would have forgone sponsorship money to allow their players to wear the 'NO RACISM' sign for the entirety of the match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon