Ex-Credit Suisse trader may reach U.S. deal: court
November 29, 2012 1:21 AM EST
Former Credit Suisse
He is the most senior banker charged in a scandal dating back to 2007, in which mortgage-backed securities traders were caught trying to cover up losses on their books, prosecutors say.
Serageldin, 39, appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court for a short hearing as part of extradition proceedings. The case was adjourned until January 14 next year.
The U.S. has been seeking his extradition since his arrest in Britain two months ago.
The Egyptian-born Serageldin, former global head of structure credit trading for Credit Suisse, spoke only to confirm his age and name in court on Wednesday. He is free on bail pending the outcome of the extradition process.
His lawyer Ben Brandon told the court that Serageldin was in negotiations with the U.S. Department of Justice towards an eventual plea.
"The expectation is that the discussions will be fruitful," Brandon said. "I am able to say that a final reply is awaited."
Brandon suggested that if the response from Washington was as hoped and expected, the extradition proceedings would no longer be necessary.
The court will hear an update on the negotiations at the January hearing.
Two other Credit Suisse employees pleaded guilty in a U.S. federal court in February to criminal charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and falsify books and records, making it the first successful U.S. prosecution of employees of a major bank involved in the subprime meltdown of 2007-08.
(Reporting by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by Tom Pfeiffer)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup