Ex-Credit Suisse trader may reach U.S. deal: court
November 29, 2012 1:21 AM EST
Former Credit Suisse
He is the most senior banker charged in a scandal dating back to 2007, in which mortgage-backed securities traders were caught trying to cover up losses on their books, prosecutors say.
Serageldin, 39, appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court for a short hearing as part of extradition proceedings. The case was adjourned until January 14 next year.
The U.S. has been seeking his extradition since his arrest in Britain two months ago.
The Egyptian-born Serageldin, former global head of structure credit trading for Credit Suisse, spoke only to confirm his age and name in court on Wednesday. He is free on bail pending the outcome of the extradition process.
His lawyer Ben Brandon told the court that Serageldin was in negotiations with the U.S. Department of Justice towards an eventual plea.
"The expectation is that the discussions will be fruitful," Brandon said. "I am able to say that a final reply is awaited."
Brandon suggested that if the response from Washington was as hoped and expected, the extradition proceedings would no longer be necessary.
The court will hear an update on the negotiations at the January hearing.
Two other Credit Suisse employees pleaded guilty in a U.S. federal court in February to criminal charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and falsify books and records, making it the first successful U.S. prosecution of employees of a major bank involved in the subprime meltdown of 2007-08.
(Reporting by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by Tom Pfeiffer)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports