Ex-Credit Suisse trader may reach U.S. deal: court
November 29, 2012 1:21 AM EST
Former Credit Suisse
He is the most senior banker charged in a scandal dating back to 2007, in which mortgage-backed securities traders were caught trying to cover up losses on their books, prosecutors say.
Serageldin, 39, appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court for a short hearing as part of extradition proceedings. The case was adjourned until January 14 next year.
The U.S. has been seeking his extradition since his arrest in Britain two months ago.
The Egyptian-born Serageldin, former global head of structure credit trading for Credit Suisse, spoke only to confirm his age and name in court on Wednesday. He is free on bail pending the outcome of the extradition process.
His lawyer Ben Brandon told the court that Serageldin was in negotiations with the U.S. Department of Justice towards an eventual plea.
"The expectation is that the discussions will be fruitful," Brandon said. "I am able to say that a final reply is awaited."
Brandon suggested that if the response from Washington was as hoped and expected, the extradition proceedings would no longer be necessary.
The court will hear an update on the negotiations at the January hearing.
Two other Credit Suisse employees pleaded guilty in a U.S. federal court in February to criminal charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and falsify books and records, making it the first successful U.S. prosecution of employees of a major bank involved in the subprime meltdown of 2007-08.
(Reporting by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by Tom Pfeiffer)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best