Calendar Omission Hints at Exit for Arsenal Stars - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 29, 2012 12:15 AM EST
Theo Walcott and Bacary Sagna have both been omitted from Arsenal's 2013 calendar, raising questions over the duo's future at the Emirates. The club maintains the omission has nothing to do with the fact contract talks for both players have stalled and with both contracts running out at the end of the season, a number of top European clubs have been linked with moves.
Walcott, whose contract situation has dominated headlines in recent weeks, and Sagna are both key members of the Gunners' first team and renewals of their contracts should have been wrapped up by now. However, a disagreement over pay packages, particularly for the England international, has kept both parties apart.
And if this omission from the annual calendar is any indication, Arsenal fans must be worried at the thought of losing yet more established internationals, over a tightly-run salary cap.
Arsene Wenger has already seen nearly a full team's worth of players leave the club in the last two seasons, with last season's top scorer, Robin van Persie and midfielder Alex Song the latest. And with reports of a number of top European clubs eyeing Walcott and Sagna, Wenger will have to move fast and decisively if he wants to retain their services.
The problem is... he may not really want to.
Sagna, for example, is 29 years old and Wenger has a ready replacement in 20 year old Englishman Carl Jenkinson. The idea of freeing up more money by selling Sagna, who would otherwise command a sizeable salary, may appeal to the French boss, who would probably then reinvest the money into the club's bank account or sign another youngster. And with Serie A club Inter Milan strongly interested in the defender, Wenger may be persuaded to sell, particularly since there are signs the player is growing restless in north London.
The contract situation over Walcott, meanwhile, continues to drag on. Wenger continues to claim he wants the Englishman to sign but reports over financial disagreements persist. Walcott has insisted he is confident over a new deal being agreed.
The former Southampton youngster wants between £90,000 and £100,000 per week but the club have stalled at £75,000. Wenger will recommend raising the club's offer to £85,000 but that too falls short of the minimum request.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers