Pakistan Test Fires Nuclear-Capable Ballistic Missile Hatf V Ghauri; Matches india's Missile Strength?
By Sree Vazhakode | November 29, 2012 12:12 AM EST
Pakistan on Wednesday successfully test fired a medium-range nuclear-capable ballistic missile with a range of 1,300 km (807 miles), the military said.
The ballistic missile named Hatf V Ghauri missile can carry both nuclear and conventional warheads, the military said in a statement.
"The test consolidates and strengthens Pakistan's deterrence capability and national security," the military said in the release.
Hatf V is based on liquid fuel missile technology and is capable of reaching targets in India.
The missile launch was Pakistan's eighth test firing in the year. Pakistan tested nuclear capable Hatf VII with a range of 700 kilo meters in September and Hatf III short range missiles in May.
Both Pakistan and India have been developing missiles of varying ranges claiming it as to deter each other from attacking. However, according to defence experts, India is now focusing on developing missiles that can target China rather than Pakistan.
The U.S. intelligence estimates last year put the number of nuclear weapons developed by Pakistan at 90 to 110. Analysts say its nuclear arsenal is the fastest growing in the world, according to Reuters.
Both Pakistan and India are not signatories to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How