Pakistan Test Fires Nuclear-Capable Ballistic Missile Hatf V Ghauri; Matches india's Missile Strength?
By Sree Vazhakode | November 29, 2012 12:12 AM EST
Pakistan on Wednesday successfully test fired a medium-range nuclear-capable ballistic missile with a range of 1,300 km (807 miles), the military said.
The ballistic missile named Hatf V Ghauri missile can carry both nuclear and conventional warheads, the military said in a statement.
"The test consolidates and strengthens Pakistan's deterrence capability and national security," the military said in the release.
Hatf V is based on liquid fuel missile technology and is capable of reaching targets in India.
The missile launch was Pakistan's eighth test firing in the year. Pakistan tested nuclear capable Hatf VII with a range of 700 kilo meters in September and Hatf III short range missiles in May.
Both Pakistan and India have been developing missiles of varying ranges claiming it as to deter each other from attacking. However, according to defence experts, India is now focusing on developing missiles that can target China rather than Pakistan.
The U.S. intelligence estimates last year put the number of nuclear weapons developed by Pakistan at 90 to 110. Analysts say its nuclear arsenal is the fastest growing in the world, according to Reuters.
Both Pakistan and India are not signatories to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]