#Unbonjuif: Jewish Student Union Sues Twitter for Names of Anti-Semitic Users in France
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | November 28, 2012 10:33 PM EST
France's main Jewish student union has sued Twitter to force it to reveal the identities of users who post anti-Semitic comments.
A hearing is set for 8 January at a Paris court, said attorney Stephane Lilti, who represents the Union of French Jewish Students (UEJF).
The group was also urging more robust use of French laws on illicit content.
Twitter agreed to cancel anti-Semitic messages posted under the hashtag #unbonjuif, which means a good Jew in French, following threats of legal action by UEJF.
Offensive comments flooded Twitter in a "competition of anti-Semitic jokes", French daily Le Monde wrote, and the hashtag became the third most popular among French Twitter users.
However, more anti-Semitic messages have flooded the microblogging site since #unbonjuif was removed, with a new hashtag meaning a dead Jew in French jumping to the top of trending tweets.
Twitter refused at the time to comment directly on the tweets and said that the company "does not mediate content".
"If we are alerted to content that may be in violation of our terms of service, we will investigate each report and respond according to the policies and procedures outlined in our support pages," a spokesperson said.
Twitter also said it would not hand over details of account holders unless ordered by a judge.
With the messages posted on the far-right Besseres Hannover account, Twitter enacted its new policy on censorship, whereby accounts can be blocked in individual countries if the content violates local law. The policy was announced in January, and has never previously been enacted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date