Schalke Chief: Arsenal Cannot Match Huntelaar Transfer Fee
By Vishnuprasad S | November 28, 2012 10:13 PM EST
Schalke general manager Horst Heldt claims Arsenal cannot afford to sign Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.
The Dutchman has only seven months left on his deal with the Bundesliga outfit and has stalled negotiations regarding a fresh contract, meaning he will be free to sign a pre-agreement with any club outside Germany in January.
Huntelaar has been attracting interest from a host of top European sides, notably Arsenal, and though Heldt admits Schalke will sell the 29-year-old during the January window if the offer is right, he does not think the north London outfit will be the player's destination.
"There have been no offers or any sign of Klaas-Jan leaving. If someone comes to us six months before the expiry date, and has a lot of money, we will deal with it. But from Arsenal circles we hear there is no money anyway," The Sun quoted the Schalke chief as saying.
However, contrary to Heldt's claims, Arsene Wenger recently revealed he intends to spend the money made available from Arsenal's new £150m shirt sponsorship deal with Fly Emirates.
"It (the deal) means the people who invest in us believe we are doing things in the right way. So it's first a credit in the way we do things and, after that, we will try to use the money intelligently," the Frenchman told the Daily Mirror.
Huntelaar, who signed for Schalke in 2010 from AC Milan for a fee around £10m, scored 48 goals from 47 appearances in all competitions for the club last season. The striker, nicknamed The Hunter, has continued his form this term as well and netted 10 times already, including two in as many games against Arsenal in the Champions League to guide Schalke to the top of Group B.
Wenger Hails Barton
Meanwhile, Wenger has showered praises on controversial English midfielder Joey Barton, who is on a season-long loan at Marseille from QPR. The 30-year-old has now completed his 12-match ban and made his Ligue 1 debut against Lille last week.
"He is a player who brings total dynamism to his team, though his organisational skills, his aggression and his playing ability. Aside from that, there is a question mark about the rest. He has been guilty of some unacceptable excesses but on the level of playing ability, he is excellent," Yahoo! quoted Wenger.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- 10 Celebrities Who Took The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Chris Pratt & LeBron James [VIDEOS]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff