MegaFon IPO Raises $1.7 Billion at Low Price End
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 28, 2012 9:05 PM EST
The listing price was set at $20, lower end of the pricing band of $20-$25, leaving the entire company with a market value of $11.1bn. It is the largest market listing from a Russian firm since the listing of metal manufacturer Rusal in Hong Kong in 2010.
In Moscow, the company is selling ordinary shares, while in London, it is offering Global Repository Receipts (GDR).
Alishair Usmov, the majority stake holder in the company retained the controlling stake after the IPO. MegaFon's Swedish shareholder TeliaSonera, which had assured a company's public offering in a shareholder deal early this year, cut its stake to 29 percent from 38 percent.
The listing concludes difficult two-months for the firm. Procedures had hit a roadblock after Goldman Sachs declined to be the main bank for the IPO just before an investment road show. The bank also had issues regarding corporate governance.
It then took the UK Listing Authority three weeks more to reconsider the deal after Goldman Sachs' departure, delaying the floating further.
In the end, MegaFon settled to give out 15 percent stake, scaling down from the earlier plan of 20 percent.
The company had reported strong performance in the third quarter on the back of increased customers, with profits jumping 20 percent to 14.9bn roubles ($470m). MegaFon has 63 million users in Russia.
More Russian firms, including many government-owned companies are expected to offer IPOs as part of the country's privatisation drive.
The authorities have already initiated a move to diverge 25 percent of the shipping firm Sovcomflot. Diamond Company Alrosa may also be floated. Secondary offerings expected to be in line from financial major VTB and oil and gas firm Rosneft as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Microsoft To Have Its Own Retail Outlet in Manhattan
- Telstra To Convert Old Payphones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- #Bendgate Video Hits Almost 46 Million In 5 Days, But Impact On Apple’s Finances Minimal
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes