MegaFon IPO Raises $1.7 Billion at Low Price End
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 28, 2012 9:05 PM EST
The listing price was set at $20, lower end of the pricing band of $20-$25, leaving the entire company with a market value of $11.1bn. It is the largest market listing from a Russian firm since the listing of metal manufacturer Rusal in Hong Kong in 2010.
In Moscow, the company is selling ordinary shares, while in London, it is offering Global Repository Receipts (GDR).
Alishair Usmov, the majority stake holder in the company retained the controlling stake after the IPO. MegaFon's Swedish shareholder TeliaSonera, which had assured a company's public offering in a shareholder deal early this year, cut its stake to 29 percent from 38 percent.
The listing concludes difficult two-months for the firm. Procedures had hit a roadblock after Goldman Sachs declined to be the main bank for the IPO just before an investment road show. The bank also had issues regarding corporate governance.
It then took the UK Listing Authority three weeks more to reconsider the deal after Goldman Sachs' departure, delaying the floating further.
In the end, MegaFon settled to give out 15 percent stake, scaling down from the earlier plan of 20 percent.
The company had reported strong performance in the third quarter on the back of increased customers, with profits jumping 20 percent to 14.9bn roubles ($470m). MegaFon has 63 million users in Russia.
More Russian firms, including many government-owned companies are expected to offer IPOs as part of the country's privatisation drive.
The authorities have already initiated a move to diverge 25 percent of the shipping firm Sovcomflot. Diamond Company Alrosa may also be floated. Secondary offerings expected to be in line from financial major VTB and oil and gas firm Rosneft as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS