Sachin Tendulkar Hanging Up His Boots? Little Master Selected for Kolkata Test Despite His Poor Form
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 8:44 PM EST
Speculations have been doing the rounds that Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar might hang up his boots following his disappointing performance of late though the man himself has not spoken up.
Indian cricket team received lots of flak for the humiliating 10-wicket defeat in home conditions in Mumbai against England a couple of days ago, and Sachin's poor form turned into a matter of worry.
A section of the media reported that the 39-year-old batting maestro had told the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to take the final call on his future in the Indian team. It is also reported that he met chief selector Sandeep Patil before the team selection for the Kolkota Test.
"They had a frank discussion, and Tendulkar told Patil that since he is not getting runs, he would like to leave it to the selectors to take a call (on his retirement)," a cricket board insider told the Hindustan Times.
However, BCCI secretary and senior selection panel convener Sanjay Jagdale denied the reports that the Indian batting legend approaching the BCCI and said that he was not aware of it.
Meanwhile, former India captains Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar are of the opinion that the selectors and Tendulkar should sit down and discuss the future plan, maintaining that the Little Master is still the best person to take the final call.
Sachin Tendulkar, who has scored 100 centuries in his 23-year international cricket, has been going through a rough phase, failing to score big. He last scored a Test century against South Africa in January 2011, and has played 15 Tests and 28 innings since then.
His poor form continued in the present England tour of India, scoring just 13, 8 and 8 for a total of 29 runs in three innings.
Despite the humiliating defeat in Mumbai, the selectors have not changed the India squad except for Umesh Yadav who is ruled out for a back injury. This means Tendulkar will play in the Kolkata Test which is starting on December 5. The fourth and final Test will be played at Nagpur from December 13-17.
The four-match Test series between India and England is currently tied at 1-1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft