Sachin Tendulkar Hanging Up His Boots? Little Master Selected for Kolkata Test Despite His Poor Form
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 8:44 PM EST
Speculations have been doing the rounds that Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar might hang up his boots following his disappointing performance of late though the man himself has not spoken up.
Indian cricket team received lots of flak for the humiliating 10-wicket defeat in home conditions in Mumbai against England a couple of days ago, and Sachin's poor form turned into a matter of worry.
A section of the media reported that the 39-year-old batting maestro had told the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to take the final call on his future in the Indian team. It is also reported that he met chief selector Sandeep Patil before the team selection for the Kolkota Test.
"They had a frank discussion, and Tendulkar told Patil that since he is not getting runs, he would like to leave it to the selectors to take a call (on his retirement)," a cricket board insider told the Hindustan Times.
However, BCCI secretary and senior selection panel convener Sanjay Jagdale denied the reports that the Indian batting legend approaching the BCCI and said that he was not aware of it.
Meanwhile, former India captains Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar are of the opinion that the selectors and Tendulkar should sit down and discuss the future plan, maintaining that the Little Master is still the best person to take the final call.
Sachin Tendulkar, who has scored 100 centuries in his 23-year international cricket, has been going through a rough phase, failing to score big. He last scored a Test century against South Africa in January 2011, and has played 15 Tests and 28 innings since then.
His poor form continued in the present England tour of India, scoring just 13, 8 and 8 for a total of 29 runs in three innings.
Despite the humiliating defeat in Mumbai, the selectors have not changed the India squad except for Umesh Yadav who is ruled out for a back injury. This means Tendulkar will play in the Kolkata Test which is starting on December 5. The fourth and final Test will be played at Nagpur from December 13-17.
The four-match Test series between India and England is currently tied at 1-1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6