Sachin Tendulkar Hanging Up His Boots? Little Master Selected for Kolkata Test Despite His Poor Form
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 8:44 PM EST
Speculations have been doing the rounds that Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar might hang up his boots following his disappointing performance of late though the man himself has not spoken up.
Indian cricket team received lots of flak for the humiliating 10-wicket defeat in home conditions in Mumbai against England a couple of days ago, and Sachin's poor form turned into a matter of worry.
A section of the media reported that the 39-year-old batting maestro had told the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to take the final call on his future in the Indian team. It is also reported that he met chief selector Sandeep Patil before the team selection for the Kolkota Test.
"They had a frank discussion, and Tendulkar told Patil that since he is not getting runs, he would like to leave it to the selectors to take a call (on his retirement)," a cricket board insider told the Hindustan Times.
However, BCCI secretary and senior selection panel convener Sanjay Jagdale denied the reports that the Indian batting legend approaching the BCCI and said that he was not aware of it.
Meanwhile, former India captains Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar are of the opinion that the selectors and Tendulkar should sit down and discuss the future plan, maintaining that the Little Master is still the best person to take the final call.
Sachin Tendulkar, who has scored 100 centuries in his 23-year international cricket, has been going through a rough phase, failing to score big. He last scored a Test century against South Africa in January 2011, and has played 15 Tests and 28 innings since then.
His poor form continued in the present England tour of India, scoring just 13, 8 and 8 for a total of 29 runs in three innings.
Despite the humiliating defeat in Mumbai, the selectors have not changed the India squad except for Umesh Yadav who is ruled out for a back injury. This means Tendulkar will play in the Kolkata Test which is starting on December 5. The fourth and final Test will be played at Nagpur from December 13-17.
The four-match Test series between India and England is currently tied at 1-1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers