Sachin Tendulkar Hanging Up His Boots? Little Master Selected for Kolkata Test Despite His Poor Form
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 8:44 PM EST
Speculations have been doing the rounds that Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar might hang up his boots following his disappointing performance of late though the man himself has not spoken up.
Indian cricket team received lots of flak for the humiliating 10-wicket defeat in home conditions in Mumbai against England a couple of days ago, and Sachin's poor form turned into a matter of worry.
A section of the media reported that the 39-year-old batting maestro had told the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to take the final call on his future in the Indian team. It is also reported that he met chief selector Sandeep Patil before the team selection for the Kolkota Test.
"They had a frank discussion, and Tendulkar told Patil that since he is not getting runs, he would like to leave it to the selectors to take a call (on his retirement)," a cricket board insider told the Hindustan Times.
However, BCCI secretary and senior selection panel convener Sanjay Jagdale denied the reports that the Indian batting legend approaching the BCCI and said that he was not aware of it.
Meanwhile, former India captains Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar are of the opinion that the selectors and Tendulkar should sit down and discuss the future plan, maintaining that the Little Master is still the best person to take the final call.
Sachin Tendulkar, who has scored 100 centuries in his 23-year international cricket, has been going through a rough phase, failing to score big. He last scored a Test century against South Africa in January 2011, and has played 15 Tests and 28 innings since then.
His poor form continued in the present England tour of India, scoring just 13, 8 and 8 for a total of 29 runs in three innings.
Despite the humiliating defeat in Mumbai, the selectors have not changed the India squad except for Umesh Yadav who is ruled out for a back injury. This means Tendulkar will play in the Kolkata Test which is starting on December 5. The fourth and final Test will be played at Nagpur from December 13-17.
The four-match Test series between India and England is currently tied at 1-1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?