Sachin Tendulkar Hanging Up His Boots? Little Master Selected for Kolkata Test Despite His Poor Form
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 8:44 PM EST
Speculations have been doing the rounds that Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar might hang up his boots following his disappointing performance of late though the man himself has not spoken up.
Indian cricket team received lots of flak for the humiliating 10-wicket defeat in home conditions in Mumbai against England a couple of days ago, and Sachin's poor form turned into a matter of worry.
A section of the media reported that the 39-year-old batting maestro had told the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to take the final call on his future in the Indian team. It is also reported that he met chief selector Sandeep Patil before the team selection for the Kolkota Test.
"They had a frank discussion, and Tendulkar told Patil that since he is not getting runs, he would like to leave it to the selectors to take a call (on his retirement)," a cricket board insider told the Hindustan Times.
However, BCCI secretary and senior selection panel convener Sanjay Jagdale denied the reports that the Indian batting legend approaching the BCCI and said that he was not aware of it.
Meanwhile, former India captains Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar are of the opinion that the selectors and Tendulkar should sit down and discuss the future plan, maintaining that the Little Master is still the best person to take the final call.
Sachin Tendulkar, who has scored 100 centuries in his 23-year international cricket, has been going through a rough phase, failing to score big. He last scored a Test century against South Africa in January 2011, and has played 15 Tests and 28 innings since then.
His poor form continued in the present England tour of India, scoring just 13, 8 and 8 for a total of 29 runs in three innings.
Despite the humiliating defeat in Mumbai, the selectors have not changed the India squad except for Umesh Yadav who is ruled out for a back injury. This means Tendulkar will play in the Kolkata Test which is starting on December 5. The fourth and final Test will be played at Nagpur from December 13-17.
The four-match Test series between India and England is currently tied at 1-1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How