Hawaiian Airlines Makes First Call to Brisbane
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 28, 2012 5:56 PM EST
Hawaiian Airlines has made its first flight call to Brisbane, its second port of call in entire Australia.
Flying nonstop three times weekly between Honolulu and Brisbane, Hawaiian Airlines is the only carrier to operate direct flights to the Australian state.
"Last year, 189,000 Australians visited Hawaii - more than double the number who visited before we started flying to Australia in 2004," Mark Dunkerley, Hawaiian Airlines president and chief executive, said in a statement.
"We selected Brisbane as our second Australia gateway not only because of the high number of Queenslanders visiting Hawaii, but also because Brisbane Airport is perfectly positioned as a gateway for passengers from throughout Australia," he said.
Hawaiian Airlines leaves Brisbane at 6.35 p.m. on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, arriving in Honolulu at 8:05 a.m. the same day.
Moreover, Hawaiian Airlines said it will operate additional 18 flights between March and May 2013. The scheme, the company said, will enable it to explore new timetabling options so as to give travellers the comfort to fly from the United States mainland to Brisbane via Honolulu.
Asked if additional Australian ports will be served very soon, Mr Dunkerley said no options are laid yet on the table, but "the airline is always on the lookout for new opportunities."
"For now, Brisbane is our number one focus," he said, noting Hawaiian Airline will be introducing a new Auckland service in March.
Brisbane is capital of Queensland and gateway to both the Great Barrier Reef and the Outback.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toddler Defecates on Seat Aboard Delta Airlines
- MH17: Sight of People Pouring from the Sky Haunt Villagers
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Haiti, a Destination Only for the Brave Ones
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health