Random Reboots Reported to Afflict Nokia Lumia 920, HTC 8X, Microsoft to Dispatch Fix Soon
By Erik Pineda | November 28, 2012 1:41 PM EST
The Windows Phone 8 issue was first reported last week by tech blog site SlashGear, which added that owners of new WP8 phones also complained of encountering glitches in email syncing.
Hundreds of freshly-purchased Lumias and HTC 8Xs were reportedly affected by the software bug, according to ARN, which based its estimates on forum posts from users mostly located in the United States and Europe.
The main beef is the repeated spontaneous reboots being experienced by owners of the two handsets, which if left unresolved immediately could greatly dampen further consumer interest on the newly rolled out Windows phones, analysts said.
Such problems could stall the gains recently seen by the Lumia 920, which last week saw its U.S. stocks raided by consumers attracted by the Nokia flagship smartphone and took advantage of the killer deals peddled by online and physical stores, tech experts said.
But a fix is likely on the way, AllThingsD reported on Tuesday, adding that Microsoft may have an answer to the mysterious WP8 behaviour as early as next week.
"We're continuing to investigate some reports of phones rebooting and have identified a cause with our partners," the tech giant was reported by AllThingsD in a statement.
Microsoft, however, stopped short of clarifying what actually caused the problem, declining too to specify if the random reboots have been observed in all WP8 phone models or if they were merely confined in certain handsets, the tech blog site said.
Instead the company simply assured that "we are working to get an over-the-air update out in December."
While waiting for the Microsoft solution, users have recommended temporarily bumping off Skype from both the Lumia 920 and the HTC 8X, SlashGear said.
Uninstalling Skype for now may not totally solve the problem, the tech blog site added, but WP8 users have attested that without the app the unintended phone restarts were at least minimised.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- Fairfax Chief Executive Greg Hywood Reiterates Commitment to Radio; No Merger With Macquarie Radio
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June