Deutsche Bank faces Libor questions from German lawmakers
November 28, 2012 11:14 AM EST
Birgit Reinemund, a lawmaker with the Free Democrats (FDP), invited Deutsche Bank to attend a parliamentary hearing as Berlin politicians join a raft of regulators and politicians trying to understand how some banks manipulated the London Inter Bank Offered Rate (LIBOR), a benchmark interest rates used to price trillions of dollars worth of contracts.
Parliamentarians had invited co-Chief Executive Anshu Jain, a former head of investment banking, but the lender decided to send board member Leithner in his place, sparking accusations that Jain has "chickened out.
Even Jain's former boss, Josef Ackermann, accused him of demonstrating a lack of leadership for not going to the hearing.
The move strains the already tense relationship between bankers, who prefer to keep out of the public eye, and politicians, who are eager to demonstrate their grip on the freewheeling world of global finance.
In the United States, Goldman Sachs
The manipulation of Libor burst into the headlines in June when British bank Barclays
Deutsche Bank said in July initial findings from an internal probe into alleged rigging of global interest rates found that no members of the management board behaved inappropriately.
The probe revealed that two former Deutsche Bank traders may have been involved in colluding to manipulate global benchmark interest rates.
Libor rates submitted by banks are compiled by Thomson Reuters
(Reporting By Edward Taylor; Editing by Louise Heavens)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices