Asia Should Learn From Mistakes of the West - Hong Kong's Securities and Features Commission Chief Executive
By EW News Desk | November 28, 2012 10:35 AM EST
Asian financial markets and regulatory bodies need to understand and learn from the mistakes of the West or risk having their own interests trampled upon, said the chief executive of Hong Kong's Securities and Futures Commission.
The Asian financial sector, boosted by the expansion of regional emerging markets, will grow to rival that of the West, but it will be "unbelievably stupid to try to grow the Asian financial system while ignoring the problems that arose in the West," said Ashley Alder, chief executive of Hong Kong's Securities and Futures Commission.
Speaking at the third annual Thomson Reuters Pan-Asian Regulatory Summit, Alder acknowledged that banks and other financial institutions in Asia have been worried about certain elements of strict financial regulation being drawn up in the West.
However, he insisted that there is no "one size fits all" template and Asia must pressure Western regulators to agree on a workable set of international rules as well as enact similar regulatory reforms to protect their own financial and economic interests.
If Asia does not get properly involved in the global regulatory agenda, we will find that the U.S. and European rules will be extended to us whether we like it or not. The result could be an isolation of Asian markets from international finance.
"The threat is that if we or Asian firms don't play ball, international firms will find it hard to operate here, seriously harming liquidity in these markets. It could be a case of my way or the highway," he said.
Addressing concerns that Asia would benefit from stricter financial rules in the West, Alder cautioned that "regulatory arbitrage always ends in tears" and stated that there is "no advantage in lowering our standards in order to attract business".
"Investors want to come here to participate in Asian growth not to escape stricter regulation at home."
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More