Does Oprah Winfrey Have Breast Cancer? No, But A Scare
By Maria Vultaggio | November 28, 2012 9:56 AM EST
When Oprah Winfrey showed up looking haggard to a conference in Los Angeles for her “O” magazine, she revealed that she had had a breast cancer scare the week before, the New York Times reported.
The media star assured her devoted followers that it was a false alarm, but it was enough to frighten her.
According to researchers, women who have never had children are more likely to get breast cancer.
The revelation not only shocked the audience, but Winfrey’s lifelong best friend Gayle King looked visibly upset, the NYT noted. One of the women in the audience scolded Winfrey, 58, for not informing her best friend about the scare before announcing it at a conference with 5,000 other people.
Winfrey also spoke candidly about her OWN company losing money.
Winfrey ended her famous talk show 18 months ago, and the rest of her offerings have been in decline ever since the demise of “The Oprah Winfrey Show” she hosted for 25 years.
During an interview after the conference, Winfrey discussed the future of “O” magazine, which has lost a substantial amount of revenue since the end of her show. She said “holding the magazine in my hand” meant a lot to her, but she has to face the facts.
The magazine as seen nearly a 25 percent slump in its advertising sales, from $48.8 million to $34.2 million.
Oprah admitted: “Obviously, the show was helping in ways that you know I hadn't accounted for. I'm not interested, you know, in bleeding money.”
“Ultimately, you have to make money because you are a business. I let other people worry about that.”
“I worry about the message. I am always, always, always about holding true to the vision and the message, and when you are true to that, then people respond.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health