Gold, Silver Shares Retreat, XAU Slides 1.7%
By jturbin | November 28, 2012 7:45 AM EST
Gold and silver stocks extended their losses Tuesday afternoon alongside the broader equity markets amid rising concerns over the U.S. fiscal cliff situation. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) fell by 1.7% to 171.05 while the S&P 500 Index dropped by as much as 0.5% to 1,399.00.
Within the sector, widely-traded names in the red included XAU components Gold Fields (GFI), IAMGOLD (IAG), and Pan American Silver (PAAS). Shares of GFI slipped by 2.8% to $11.84, IAG by 2.1% to $11.87, and PAAS by 1.2% to $19.11.
(Check out GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com for rankings, price targets, upgrades and downgrades on over 90 gold and silver stocks)
Equities as a whole headed south after Harry Reid, the U.S. Senate House Majority leader, stated that policymakers have made “little progress” in negotiations aimed at avoiding the fiscal cliff – the billions in automatic spending cuts and tax increases scheduled to begin in 2013.
Precious metals declined as well, with COMEX gold futures for December delivery settling down by $7.30, or 0.4%, at $1,742.30 per ounce. Silver futures largely mirrored the yellow metal, as the COMEX December contract closed with a loss of $0.16, or 0.5%, at $33.98 per ounce.
Commenting on the outlook for the gold market, analysts at HSBC contended that “With much trading activity gravitating around the $1,750 an ounce level, we anticipate the expiration will be modestly price-positive for gold. Beyond that, we believe gold and silver prices will tend toward consolidation, as investors await further developments on the U.S. fiscal-cliff negotiations.”
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble