Gold, Silver Shares Retreat, XAU Slides 1.7%
By jturbin | November 28, 2012 7:45 AM EST
Gold and silver stocks extended their losses Tuesday afternoon alongside the broader equity markets amid rising concerns over the U.S. fiscal cliff situation. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) fell by 1.7% to 171.05 while the S&P 500 Index dropped by as much as 0.5% to 1,399.00.
Within the sector, widely-traded names in the red included XAU components Gold Fields (GFI), IAMGOLD (IAG), and Pan American Silver (PAAS). Shares of GFI slipped by 2.8% to $11.84, IAG by 2.1% to $11.87, and PAAS by 1.2% to $19.11.
(Check out GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com for rankings, price targets, upgrades and downgrades on over 90 gold and silver stocks)
Equities as a whole headed south after Harry Reid, the U.S. Senate House Majority leader, stated that policymakers have made “little progress” in negotiations aimed at avoiding the fiscal cliff – the billions in automatic spending cuts and tax increases scheduled to begin in 2013.
Precious metals declined as well, with COMEX gold futures for December delivery settling down by $7.30, or 0.4%, at $1,742.30 per ounce. Silver futures largely mirrored the yellow metal, as the COMEX December contract closed with a loss of $0.16, or 0.5%, at $33.98 per ounce.
Commenting on the outlook for the gold market, analysts at HSBC contended that “With much trading activity gravitating around the $1,750 an ounce level, we anticipate the expiration will be modestly price-positive for gold. Beyond that, we believe gold and silver prices will tend toward consolidation, as investors await further developments on the U.S. fiscal-cliff negotiations.”
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?