Gold and Silver Edge Lower After Greece Deal
By Eric McWhinnie | November 28, 2012 7:11 AM EST
Both precious metals showed a bit of weakness as the U.S. dollar climbed higher after the Greece deal. Eurozone finance ministers and the International Monetary Fund finally reached an agreement to reduce Greece’s debt and clear the way for the release of the next batch of aid loans. The insolvent country will receive a 34.4 billion euro, or $44.7 billion, loan installment in December.
As part of the agreement, the creditor countries decided to cut the interest rates on already extended bilateral loans from the current 150 basis points above financing costs to 50 bps, suspended interest payments for a decade to give the nation additional time to repay, and designed a new bond buyback plan.
Don’t Miss: Are Hedge Funds Still Interested in Gold?
The measures will supposedly help reduce Greece’s debt from 190 percent of gross domestic product in 2014 to the IMF-ordered 124 percent of GDP in 2020. The IMF agreed to raise its previous target of 120 percent.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) edged 0.40 percent lower, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) declined about 0.30 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) dropped 1.50 percent and 4.05 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, silver names such as Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) and Silvercorp Metals (NYSE:SVM) fell 0.85 percent and 3.30 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Should Gold Investors Be Worried About Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS