Gold and Silver Edge Lower After Greece Deal
By Eric McWhinnie | November 28, 2012 7:11 AM EST
Both precious metals showed a bit of weakness as the U.S. dollar climbed higher after the Greece deal. Eurozone finance ministers and the International Monetary Fund finally reached an agreement to reduce Greece’s debt and clear the way for the release of the next batch of aid loans. The insolvent country will receive a 34.4 billion euro, or $44.7 billion, loan installment in December.
As part of the agreement, the creditor countries decided to cut the interest rates on already extended bilateral loans from the current 150 basis points above financing costs to 50 bps, suspended interest payments for a decade to give the nation additional time to repay, and designed a new bond buyback plan.
Don’t Miss: Are Hedge Funds Still Interested in Gold?
The measures will supposedly help reduce Greece’s debt from 190 percent of gross domestic product in 2014 to the IMF-ordered 124 percent of GDP in 2020. The IMF agreed to raise its previous target of 120 percent.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) edged 0.40 percent lower, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) declined about 0.30 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Goldcorp (NYSE:GG) dropped 1.50 percent and 4.05 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, silver names such as Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) and Silvercorp Metals (NYSE:SVM) fell 0.85 percent and 3.30 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Should Gold Investors Be Worried About Gold?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine