Ledley King: Caulker Can Be World Class But Suarez Will Provide His Sternest Test
By Adrian Back | November 28, 2012 5:41 AM EST
Former Tottenham defender Ledley King believes that Steven Caulker could be in for one of the toughest tests of his career if he faces Liverpool's Luis Suarez on Wednesday night.
The Uruguay international is the top scorer in the Premier League this season with ten goals and has terrorised defences with his jinking runs, close control and outrageous ability on the ball.
Liverpool will be hoping that Suarez can help the club extend their unbeaten run, which currently stands at eight league games, when they travel to White Hart Lane to take on a Spurs side who secured a 3-1 win over West Ham at the weekend.
Caulker started the win over the Hammers and was in the Swansea side which secured a 1-0 win over Liverpool last season. Yet King believes the 20-year-old could be in for a sterner examination of his ability should he confront an in-form Suarez tomorrow.
"He is a different type of striker, he is more of a continental type who likes to drop short, but he can get in behind you as well," King exclusively told IBTimesUK. "He has great movement and he is a very slippery customer. Technically he is very good and it will be a good test for the defenders. He is a very clever player and the main player we will have to keep an eye on."
However King, who is still working as an ambassador at Tottenham, does believe that Caulker has all the attributes to become a top class footballer for both club and country.
"He can go right to the top, there is no doubt about that," stated King. "He has been brilliant so far this season and I think the loan spell really helped him. Being at a club like Swansea, they like to get the ball down and play and it was a great club for him to learn about the Premier League. I have no doubt that he will play many, many games for Tottenham and England."
Caulker has been compared to Tottenham legend King and the recently retired defender has been particularly impressed with how comfortable the youngster has looked since being handed the chance in Andre Villas-Boas' first team.
King added: "One of the things that comes across is his calmness. As a young defender you will always make mistakes but I have been really impressed with the maturity of one so young. He definitely has a big future."
Tottenham will be looking to gain a win over Liverpool as they look to overtake north London rivals Arsenal who are also on 20 points and face a difficult away trip to Everton on Wednesday night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales