Ledley King: Caulker Can Be World Class But Suarez Will Provide His Sternest Test
By Adrian Back | November 28, 2012 5:41 AM EST
Former Tottenham defender Ledley King believes that Steven Caulker could be in for one of the toughest tests of his career if he faces Liverpool's Luis Suarez on Wednesday night.
The Uruguay international is the top scorer in the Premier League this season with ten goals and has terrorised defences with his jinking runs, close control and outrageous ability on the ball.
Liverpool will be hoping that Suarez can help the club extend their unbeaten run, which currently stands at eight league games, when they travel to White Hart Lane to take on a Spurs side who secured a 3-1 win over West Ham at the weekend.
Caulker started the win over the Hammers and was in the Swansea side which secured a 1-0 win over Liverpool last season. Yet King believes the 20-year-old could be in for a sterner examination of his ability should he confront an in-form Suarez tomorrow.
"He is a different type of striker, he is more of a continental type who likes to drop short, but he can get in behind you as well," King exclusively told IBTimesUK. "He has great movement and he is a very slippery customer. Technically he is very good and it will be a good test for the defenders. He is a very clever player and the main player we will have to keep an eye on."
However King, who is still working as an ambassador at Tottenham, does believe that Caulker has all the attributes to become a top class footballer for both club and country.
"He can go right to the top, there is no doubt about that," stated King. "He has been brilliant so far this season and I think the loan spell really helped him. Being at a club like Swansea, they like to get the ball down and play and it was a great club for him to learn about the Premier League. I have no doubt that he will play many, many games for Tottenham and England."
Caulker has been compared to Tottenham legend King and the recently retired defender has been particularly impressed with how comfortable the youngster has looked since being handed the chance in Andre Villas-Boas' first team.
King added: "One of the things that comes across is his calmness. As a young defender you will always make mistakes but I have been really impressed with the maturity of one so young. He definitely has a big future."
Tottenham will be looking to gain a win over Liverpool as they look to overtake north London rivals Arsenal who are also on 20 points and face a difficult away trip to Everton on Wednesday night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports