Red Tide Closes Bondi Beach In Australia
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 28, 2012 5:30 AM EST
Australia’s famed Bondi Beach looked like a scene out of an apocalypse movie on Tuesday as tourists and locals encountered blood-red waters, the result of a rare “red tide.”
Visitors noted a “fishy smell” on Tuesday morning, saying the crimson waters looked like “tomato sauce.” By mid-morning, the algae bloom had closed Bondi and several other beaches in and around Sydney, including Clovelly Beach in Randwick, as health officials warned that high ammonia levels in the water could be harmful.
“There are some possible risks to human health from red algae including skin rashes and eye irritation, and for this reason the beach will remain closed until the algae dissipates,” the Randwick City Council said in a statement.
The rare red tide is also known to cause fish kills and make seafood in the area like shellfish harmful to eat.
The Metropolitan Sydney South Coast and Hunter Regional Algal Coordinating Committees issued an alert late Tuesday identifying the bloom as Noctiluca scintillans, “which appears pinkish or reddish in water with a similar characteristic to fairy floss.” The committee noted that it can also appear phosphorescent at night.
Algal blooms are more common during the spring and fall when there are higher water temperatures and greater movements of the ocean currents, according to a spokesman for the NSW Office of Water. Scientists believe Tuesday’s red tide may be the result of an upwelling of colder nutrient-rich deep ocean water onto the continental shelf.
Another algal bloom was spotted in Botany Bay, south of Bondi last Friday. Officials hope the current red tide will dissipate by the weekend, when temperatures are expected to reach 40 Celsius (104 Fahrenheit).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- What May Have Happened to Malaysia Airlines MH17: 5 Strangest Conspiracy Theories; Crash Victim Had Frightening ‘Premonition’
- Another Missing Jet: Air Algeria Disappears With 116 on Board
- MH17: Pro-Russian Rebel Confesses Firing on Plane by Mistake
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- Refloated Italy Cruise Ship Costa Concordia Embarks Final Voyage, Bids Port of Giglio for the Very Last Time (PHOTOS)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales