Workers Wasting Time Cost Employers $134B In Lost Effort: Infographic
By Eleazar David Meléndez | November 28, 2012 5:29 AM EST
A day after many U.S. and Canadian office workers wiled away countless on-the-clock hours shopping online, business liability insurance company BOLT is putting out an infographic to show just how much time American employees waste while on the job.
The findings, according to BOLT: employees waste enough time on “non-work tasks” to cost their employers some $134 billion in lost productivity.
Time spent browsing the Web, corresponding on social networks and keeping up with sports form a big part of that lost effort, according to BOLT, with employees costing businesses $1.1 billion a week in time spent tending their fantasy football teams, for example. But a lot of wasted time, according to employees surveyed, is dealt dealing with unnecessary tasks like attending useless meetings, fixing others' mistakes, and putting up with chatty co-workers. 43 percent of employees, according to BOLT, say they waste time having to appease warring sides in confrontations about office politics, for example.
Given that kind of perception from employees, it’s no surprise many admit to using the time between 9 to 5 to look for another job, with 46 percent of workers admitting to that faux pas. That also seems to explain the popularity of professional networking site LinkedIn, which beats out Google, Yahoo, Twitter and Amazon.com -- although not Facebook -- in terms of sites employees admit to visiting during work hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Wins Opener In Basel Despite Being Afflicted With Appendicitis
- Serena Williams and Simona Halep Win 2014 WTA Finals Opener
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- 'The Bachelor Australia': Sam Calls Blake 'A Liar'
- 'CSI Crime Scene Investigation' Season 15 Recap: Episode 4 'The Book of Shadows' Aired On Oct. 19, 2014, The 'CSI Las Vegas' Team Investigates A Dangerous Science Experiment [WATCH VIDEOS]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu