Workers Wasting Time Cost Employers $134B In Lost Effort: Infographic
By Eleazar David Meléndez | November 28, 2012 5:29 AM EST
A day after many U.S. and Canadian office workers wiled away countless on-the-clock hours shopping online, business liability insurance company BOLT is putting out an infographic to show just how much time American employees waste while on the job.
The findings, according to BOLT: employees waste enough time on “non-work tasks” to cost their employers some $134 billion in lost productivity.
Time spent browsing the Web, corresponding on social networks and keeping up with sports form a big part of that lost effort, according to BOLT, with employees costing businesses $1.1 billion a week in time spent tending their fantasy football teams, for example. But a lot of wasted time, according to employees surveyed, is dealt dealing with unnecessary tasks like attending useless meetings, fixing others' mistakes, and putting up with chatty co-workers. 43 percent of employees, according to BOLT, say they waste time having to appease warring sides in confrontations about office politics, for example.
Given that kind of perception from employees, it’s no surprise many admit to using the time between 9 to 5 to look for another job, with 46 percent of workers admitting to that faux pas. That also seems to explain the popularity of professional networking site LinkedIn, which beats out Google, Yahoo, Twitter and Amazon.com -- although not Facebook -- in terms of sites employees admit to visiting during work hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Wonder Woman First Photo Revealed: Fans Compare Costume to Xena’s
- Six Seconds of Exercise 'Can Transform Health': Study Reveals
- Men Who Work in Shifts Usually are at Higher Risk of Suffering From Type 2 Diabetes
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2: Release Date and Super Villain Thanos Revealed
- New Zealand's National Party, PM John Key Leading in Polls; Labour Shrugs Off Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide