Workers Wasting Time Cost Employers $134B In Lost Effort: Infographic
By Eleazar David Meléndez | November 28, 2012 5:29 AM EST
A day after many U.S. and Canadian office workers wiled away countless on-the-clock hours shopping online, business liability insurance company BOLT is putting out an infographic to show just how much time American employees waste while on the job.
The findings, according to BOLT: employees waste enough time on “non-work tasks” to cost their employers some $134 billion in lost productivity.
Time spent browsing the Web, corresponding on social networks and keeping up with sports form a big part of that lost effort, according to BOLT, with employees costing businesses $1.1 billion a week in time spent tending their fantasy football teams, for example. But a lot of wasted time, according to employees surveyed, is dealt dealing with unnecessary tasks like attending useless meetings, fixing others' mistakes, and putting up with chatty co-workers. 43 percent of employees, according to BOLT, say they waste time having to appease warring sides in confrontations about office politics, for example.
Given that kind of perception from employees, it’s no surprise many admit to using the time between 9 to 5 to look for another job, with 46 percent of workers admitting to that faux pas. That also seems to explain the popularity of professional networking site LinkedIn, which beats out Google, Yahoo, Twitter and Amazon.com -- although not Facebook -- in terms of sites employees admit to visiting during work hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Amazing Race' Season 25 Spoilers: Episode 2 ‘When You Gotta Go, You Gotta Go’ Airs On Oct. 3, 2014, The 10 Teams Will Race Around The UK For Leg 2 [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Finale Spoiler: Blake Proposes To Top Favourite Of Season 2
- Portland Trail Blazers Pick Up Fourth-Year Option On Point Guard Damian Lillard
- Kate Upton And BF Detroit Tigers’ Justin Verlander Spotted Shopping Post Nude Photo Leak Scandal
- Khloe Kardashian Could Reportedly Be Pregnant With Lamar Odom’s Baby, But Recent Instagram Posts Suggest Otherwise
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money