Workers Wasting Time Cost Employers $134B In Lost Effort: Infographic
By Eleazar David Meléndez | November 28, 2012 5:29 AM EST
A day after many U.S. and Canadian office workers wiled away countless on-the-clock hours shopping online, business liability insurance company BOLT is putting out an infographic to show just how much time American employees waste while on the job.
The findings, according to BOLT: employees waste enough time on “non-work tasks” to cost their employers some $134 billion in lost productivity.
Time spent browsing the Web, corresponding on social networks and keeping up with sports form a big part of that lost effort, according to BOLT, with employees costing businesses $1.1 billion a week in time spent tending their fantasy football teams, for example. But a lot of wasted time, according to employees surveyed, is dealt dealing with unnecessary tasks like attending useless meetings, fixing others' mistakes, and putting up with chatty co-workers. 43 percent of employees, according to BOLT, say they waste time having to appease warring sides in confrontations about office politics, for example.
Given that kind of perception from employees, it’s no surprise many admit to using the time between 9 to 5 to look for another job, with 46 percent of workers admitting to that faux pas. That also seems to explain the popularity of professional networking site LinkedIn, which beats out Google, Yahoo, Twitter and Amazon.com -- although not Facebook -- in terms of sites employees admit to visiting during work hours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Gunners Legend Robert Pires Knows Wenger's 'Missing Piece' To Win Silverware
- Bruce Jenner Gets Rid of Bizarre Birthday Manicure For Lunch Out With His Daughters
- Liverpool FC: Reds Striker Daniel Sturridge Looks To Score Goals Upon Return
- ‘The Amazing Race' Season 25 Spoilers: Episode 6 ‘I Feel Like I Just Kissed a Goat’ Airs On Oct. 31, 2014, The 7 Teams Will Continue To Race Around Morocco For Leg 6 [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: Nikki Reed Back In Atlanta, 'Vampire Diaries' Actor Shares Horseback Riding Photo With 'Twilight' Actress On Instagram
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown