Cyril Smith Did Abuse Young Boys, Say Greater Manchester Police
By Toyin Owoseje | November 28, 2012 5:22 AM EST
Former Liberal MP Sir Cyril Smith did sexually abuse young boys, police have admitted.
Greater Manchester Police, which had opened investigations into allegations of sexual abuse against the late politician, has confirmed that he was a paedophile and child abuser.
Assistant chief constable Steve Heywood said: "The force is now publicly acknowledging that young boys were victims of physical and sexual abuse committed by Smith."
Smith was elected to parliament in 1972. Rumours of abuse followed him throughout his political career.
Although an investigation was carried out by Lancashire Police into claims that he sexually abused young boys at a care home in Rochdale in the 1970s, no charges were brought.
Heywood insisted that if Smith had been accused today we would have faced jail.
"Having reviewed those decisions, we believe that if the same evidence was presented to the CPS today there would have been a very realistic prospect that Smith would have been charged with a number of indecent assaults, and that the case would have been brought to trial."
Earlier in November, Barry Fitton accused Smith of abusing him during the 1970s, when he was just 15.
"He told me to take my trousers and pants down. He felt my thighs and testicles from both front and back. He held my testicles and asked me to cough." Fitton said.
Police are encouraging other potential victims to contact them.
"It is important for those victims who were abused by Smith that we publicly acknowledge the suffering they endured," said Heywood.
"Although Smith cannot be charged or convicted posthumously, from the overwhelming evidence we have it is right and proper we should publicly recognise that young boys were sexually and physically abused and we will offer them as much support as they need should they wish to speak to us."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Strike vs ISIS Countdown: Arab Nations Signify Intent to Join U.S. Fight
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- Russia to Create Emergency Fund for Sanctions-Hit Companies, to Build New Rail Line Bypassing Ukraine
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date