Cyril Smith Did Abuse Young Boys, Say Greater Manchester Police
By Toyin Owoseje | November 28, 2012 5:22 AM EST
Former Liberal MP Sir Cyril Smith did sexually abuse young boys, police have admitted.
Greater Manchester Police, which had opened investigations into allegations of sexual abuse against the late politician, has confirmed that he was a paedophile and child abuser.
Assistant chief constable Steve Heywood said: "The force is now publicly acknowledging that young boys were victims of physical and sexual abuse committed by Smith."
Smith was elected to parliament in 1972. Rumours of abuse followed him throughout his political career.
Although an investigation was carried out by Lancashire Police into claims that he sexually abused young boys at a care home in Rochdale in the 1970s, no charges were brought.
Heywood insisted that if Smith had been accused today we would have faced jail.
"Having reviewed those decisions, we believe that if the same evidence was presented to the CPS today there would have been a very realistic prospect that Smith would have been charged with a number of indecent assaults, and that the case would have been brought to trial."
Earlier in November, Barry Fitton accused Smith of abusing him during the 1970s, when he was just 15.
"He told me to take my trousers and pants down. He felt my thighs and testicles from both front and back. He held my testicles and asked me to cough." Fitton said.
Police are encouraging other potential victims to contact them.
"It is important for those victims who were abused by Smith that we publicly acknowledge the suffering they endured," said Heywood.
"Although Smith cannot be charged or convicted posthumously, from the overwhelming evidence we have it is right and proper we should publicly recognise that young boys were sexually and physically abused and we will offer them as much support as they need should they wish to speak to us."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- NSW Braces for Severe Weather Condition
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools