Itau moves Europe investment bank HQ to London
November 28, 2012 5:21 AM EST
Itau BBA, the bank's corporate and investment banking arm, said it was transferring about 20 staff from Lisbon, which would increase its number of London staff to about 70 after extra hiring in areas such as Treasury, capital markets, risk management and compliance functions.
Almir Vignoto, head of Itau BBA in London, said business had been moved due to London's position as one of the major financial centres. The bank plans to serve the 300 largest European groups that own operations or investments in Latin America, he said.
The bank said it expected to get approval for merging the UK and Portugal businesses from the Financial Services Authority (FSA) early next year.
Back-office functions for Europe will continue to be maintained mainly from Lisbon, where the bank has about 100 employees. It also has offices in Madrid, Paris and Frankfurt.
(Reporting by Steve Slater; Editing by Helen Massy-Beresford)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef